cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Vball247
Level V

Sample label on control chart but not control chart builder?

When viewing control charts, we know that these are plotted in time ORDER, but not scaled to time. So may have 50 runs on a control chart, with no gaps, even if there are time gaps. However, many of our users would like to have the date or timestamp as a label on the x-axis, just so they can quickly read off about when something happened and what needs to be investigated. I know you can do this in Control Chart, there is a "Sample Label" option. You can put the timestamp there, a nominal modeling type, etc. But I cannot find how you do this in Control Chart Builder. I tried changing the script for a Control Chart Builder but does not seem to recognize what works in Control Chart, see example below. Has anyone else been able to add Sample Label to CCB? I have a request out to JMP Support as well. Either manually or through JSL.

Control Chart(
	Sample Label( :Date ),

6 REPLIES 6
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Sample label on control chart but not control chart builder?

Go to Help>Sample Data then select the outline for Control Charrts.  Select the Airport table (for example).  The attached table script creates a control chart (using CCB) with Day on the x-axis.

-Dave
Vball247
Level V

Thanks for quick reply! But this appears to be using it as a subgroup, and not a sample label? We don't want to subgroup by that label, just display it for quick reference as a label along the x-axis. I know you can also click on the point to show the timestamp or nominal type if the column is turned on as a label. But sometimes the control chart is put into a powerpoint presentation, for example, and others might make note of the approximate times, or other such labels, without resorting to having JMP open. It still seems to me something available in Control Chart but not Control Chart Builder. You can do the IR chart in "Airport" and put "Day" into Sample Label, this is more what we are looking for.

Control Chart Builder(
Show Control Panel( 0 ),
Variables( "Subgroup"(:Day), "Y"(:Delay) );
Vball247
Level V

From JMP Technical Support:

The traditional control chart platforms had the ability to specify a Sample Label that is not the Subgroup variable. Control Chart Builder only has a Subgroup variable available. Therefore, when there is more than one observation for a level of the subgroup variable, Control Chart Builder switches automatically to an XBar chart rather than an IR chart.

The development team is aware that some users would like to have the ability to force an Individual Measurements (IR) chart in Control Chart Builder, even when there is more than one observation for one or more levels of the subgroup. This will be considered for incorporation into a future version of JMP.

Zeban
Level I

will this be available in JMP 14 then?

The appeal of using the control chart builder for me is the ability to add the Local Data Filter functionality (on an IR chart, with date as a time stamp)

No, this functionality is not available in V14 in the Control Chart Builder platform.  

RBILLC
Level II

Bump request for this functionality. I am using the modern 
Control Chart Builder() platform since I cannot get the traditional platforms to export properly to PDF at a higher DPI. Per my other thread:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/High-DPI-PDF-Export-using-JSL/m-p/62544#M33725

My client needs their data charted by Date but as IR, is there no way to force this in the Control Chart Builder()? I am thinking about added _# suffixes onto the date column and converting the column to chars. 

shipDateCol << Data type( Character ) << Set Modeling Type( Continuous );

EDIT: It looks like I can build the control chart using the Graph Builder() platform and it does properly output to PDF at a higher DPI. Relief.