cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Sample Size Calculation

My current process is operating at a 0.01 defect frequency (e.g., 3 defects in last 300 units inspected).  If I make a process change that could potentially increase the defect frequency, how many units will need to be inspected post-change to determine if a statistically significant difference in defect frequency?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vinkane
Level III

Re: Sample Size Calculation

Mark:

Here is a good formula for the AQL sample size  and the RQL sample size   The sample size, 947 or 948 is shown.

I would have sent you the JMP table but don't know how to post it here

12596_pastedImage_0.png12597_pastedImage_1.png

12598_pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vinkane
Level III

Mark:

With the current process at 1% defective you have to set a upper defective limit say 2%. Also, the risks have to be assigned, typically 10% for type I & II errors

The sample size is than the sample size and defect value which will accept a 1% or lower defect level 90% of the time while rejecting the product when the relect level is 2% or higher 90% of the time.

An OC curve is the best way to visualize the results

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

You will also need to articulate 'delta'...or what is the minimum defect rate improvement that you are trying to detect.

vinkane
Level III

Mark:

My Excel based calculation says a sample of 948. If there are 13 or less defects, accept that there is no process shift, greater than 13 defects a shift has occurred, given the risks specified.

12584_pastedImage_0.png

eldad_galili
Level III

Hi,

Can you please send the table as attached file.

Thanks

Steven_Moore
Level VI

I suggest you use a Runs Chart and/or Process Behavior Chart (Control Chart),  With this type of "rare event" data, both work well.  Use "good units inspected between defective units" as your test variable.  When you make your process change, you will be able to detect a shift in performance, if there is one.  See my article in Quality Digest regarding OSHA Recordable Injuries (same type of data)...http://www.qualitydigest.com/inside/quality-insider-article/alleviating-tortured-data.html

Steve
vinkane
Level III

Mark:

Here is a good formula for the AQL sample size  and the RQL sample size   The sample size, 947 or 948 is shown.

12598_pastedImage_2.png

ian_jmp
Staff

FYI (and regarding 'but don't know how to post it here') - If you use the 'Advanced Editor':

12594_Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 14.37.10.png

there's an 'Attach' link at the bottom right.

vinkane
Level III

Thanks for the tip ! !

Carlz
Level I

I am having trouble with this formula for low rejection rates, e.g. AQL 0.1% RQL 0.25% .  Any ideas?  Curious about the use of Chi sqaure quartile vs binomial, etc

@vinkane wrote:

Mark:

12598_pastedImage_2.png