cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
albest3
Level I

SAS Integration support is being removed in JMP 18

In my JMP Pro 17.2.0, when doing "Browse SAS Data" I see a new (troubling?) message:

"SAS Integration support is being removed in JMP 18"

What does this mean? I count on the ability to seamlessly go between SAS and JMP.

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: SAS Integration support is being removed in JMP 18

Thanks for noticing the informational message. 

For various reasons JMP 18 will not support connections to SAS 9.4 SAS servers.  JMP 18 will be generally available in 2024. 

What’s changing:

• SAS connectivity to 9.4 servers through the File → SAS menu has been removed.
  • Analytic platforms that submit SAS code to SAS 9.4 servers have been removed.
  • JSL functions to submit SAS code to SAS 9.4 servers have been removed.
  • The capability for Academic customers to connect to SAS On Demand for Academic environments has been removed.
  • The ability to export .sas7bdat files from JMP has been removed.
  • The ability to import encrypted .sas7bdat files into JMP has been removed.

What’s not changing:

• The ability to generate SAS code from analytic platforms and the Formula Depot.
  • The ability to edit SAS code in the script editor.
  • The ability to open unencrypted .sas7bdat files in JMP.
  • The ability to use JSL functions to connect to CAS/Viya environments.

Current users who need to connect to SAS 9.4 servers can continue to use JMP 17 as long as they maintain their license. After the release of JMP 18 no maintenance updates will be available for JMP 17.

-Jeff
albest3
Level I

Jeff,

Always helpful; thanks!

Presumably, "for various reasons" includes the _other_ "informational message" that appears in the "About JMP" display that reads "Copyright (c) 2022-2023 JMP Statistical Discovery LLC". ... a _huge_ change to the "wholly owned subsidiary of SAS".

Follow-on questions:

• If I will no longer be able to export data files from JMP to SAS, what is the suggestion for this functionality?
  • Regarding opening SAS data files, will the File>SAS>BrowseData go away entirely? (yikes!)
  • So when JMPv18 comes out, it will include a "setinit" for both 17 and 18, so that my v17 will continue to work as I also work under v18?
  • And when v18 comes out, will the install include an option "Don't uninstall V17"?
  • Will the JMP engine in the SAS Libname statement continue to be supported in SAS?

-- Al, founder of the first JMP training courses

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

@albest3 wrote:

Follow-on questions:

• If I will no longer be able to export data files from JMP to SAS, what is the suggestion for this functionality?
  • Regarding opening SAS data files, will the File>SAS>BrowseData go away entirely? (yikes!)
  • So when JMPv18 comes out, it will include a "setinit" for both 17 and 18, so that my v17 will continue to work as I also work under v18?
  • And when v18 comes out, will the install include an option "Don't uninstall V17"?
  • Will the JMP engine in the SAS Libname statement continue to be supported in SAS?

-- Al, founder of the first JMP training courses

• You can save in SAS Transport Format, both V5 and V8.
  • Yes, the File->SAS menu will not be present in JMP 18.
  • It is dependent on the license for JMP that you hold but generally speaking, yes, you will be able to continue to use JMP 17.
  • None of our installers remove previous major releases.
  • I suspect that the JMP engine will continue to be supported but I can't confirm. SAS Technical Support may be able to provide a more definitive answer.

Nice to hear from you, Al!

-Jeff
MRB3855
Super User

Thanks @Jeff_Perkinson : For clarity, will I still be able to "Connect to SAS on this machine"?  For example, suppose I specify a model in the fit model platform. Then I choose " Create SAS job" from the red triangle next to where it says "Model Specification". As it is now in v17, when I try to run the SAS code thus generated, I'll get the following options: will I still be able to do this?

MRB3855_0-1694077423913.png

That option will not be available. Basically you won't be able to connect to a SAS Server. Connect to SAS on this machine is still a SAS Server. You will be able to read/write SAS Transport Files (as Jeff mentioned) in addition to read/write sas7bdat (native SAS data set files).