cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pmroz
Super User

Running JMP on RDS (Remote Desktop Services)?

We are currently running JMP on Citrix servers.  We've been asked by our IT department to see if JMP will run using Remote Desktop Services (RDS).  Is that possible?  Has anyone else done this and can you share war stories?

Thanks,

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Running JMP on RDS (Remote Desktop Services)?

this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Services ?

It just works. I've used it with remmina on Linux to see a windows host in a Linux window, as well as

RDCRDC

from a windows machine to another windows machine.

You can use RDC to connect to another windows machine. If the machine is a windows server OS, more than one user at a time can connect.

You'll probably need a JMP server license for JMP to run on a server OS. Your JMP support people will know more about how that works, and it may be what you already have. (I'm unfamiliar with Citrix.)

Craige
ErraticAttack
Level VI

Any ideas about hardware acceleration on RDS?  I've noticed that, regardless of the preference setting, hardware acceleration doesn't work over RDS.  With a 4k monitor, JMP has about 0.4 second delay with all possible interactions on a full-screen window (such as simply clicking the "File" menu -- 0.4 second wait till response).

If you're aware of some special settings that need to be enabled in order for hardware acceleration to work that'd be great!!

To be sure, our company is a bit behind and I can only test up to JMP14 on the servers, so it's entirely possible that it's been fixed with new versions of JMP

Jordan
Craige_Hales
Super User

I don't have answers. Is that your internal intranet or external? Is JMP the only sluggish app?

If it is a general issue with most apps and an external network you might try a speed test from both ends. https://speed.cloudflare.com/ is my new favorite:

Craige_Hales_0-1697819795251.png

The latency numbers might tell you something. (Be sure to scroll down.) You might get really different numbers running it on your local browser vs on a browser on the Remote Desktop Server. I would not expect the JMP version to have much to do with the answer.

Craige
pmroz
Super User

Craige and Erratic,

Thanks for your responses.  How will users read and write to their personal drives or fileshares?

Thanks,

Peter

Craige_Hales
Super User

If you have two machines available, A and B, you can remote login to B from A and see B's desktop from a window on A. You can do everything you could do if you were in front of B and you can (for some things) copy/paste between the B window on A and other A windows. As I recall, text and small files work well via the clipboard, but not copy/past of bitmaps and directories. You can probably experiment in your office from a non-JMP machine for A with a JMP machine on B to see how it feels. 

Normally you'd maximize the window and pretend you are actually on B.

If B is not a server, anyone sitting in front of B will get disconnected while A is connected to B (again, as I recall.)

I do remember, a long time ago, crashing a machine C by trying to remote connect to C.

Craige