cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
aandw
Level II

Running Count of Repeated Values JSL Script?

I would like to script a running count or cumulative sum of repeated values within a column.

For example, first appearance should equal 1, max value of count by value specified should equal the cumulative sum of the value within the column.

colorcount_color
RED1
RED2
BLUE1
YELLOW1
RED3

Ideally, the output for :count_color would not need the data table to be sorted by :color

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Running Count of Repeated Values JSL Script?

Creating a new column and assigning it the formula below does what you're after, I think:

Col Cumulative Sum( 1, :Color )

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Try this expression in a column formula (or in a For Each Row() loop);

Eval(Eval Expr(Col Sum(Row() <= Expr(Row()), :color)));

aandw
Level II

Using the Eval command under formula generates an output, but all values = 0

Perhaps I have misinterpreted. My column formula is below.

// Running Count

New Column("count_color",

numeric,

continuous,

formula(

Eval(Eval Expr(Col Sum(Row() <= Expr(Row()), :color)))

)

);

Craige_Hales
Super User

Either paste the formula from MS into the formula editor or wrap the formula in NameExpr (longer explanation here:(

New Column( "count",

Numeric,

"Continuous",

Format( "Best", 12 ),

Formula( Name Expr( Eval( Eval Expr( Col Sum( Row() <= Expr( Row() ), :color ) ) ) ) )

),

There is a bug in JMP that you've helped uncover; the resulting table does not include the Name Expr( ) wrapper around the formula when the table's <<getscript command is used.  Thanks!

Craige
vishwasanj
Level V

Hi @Craige_Hales,

I am doing a similar count of all the numbers that are not zero, or else it will be changed to 1.

If( :Number != 0,
Name Expr( Eval( Eval Expr( Col Sum( Row() <= Expr( Row() ), :Number ) ) ) ),
);

This doesn't seem to work. I get black spaces for non zero numbers. Can you help me with this? Thank you.
mjoner
Level VI

EDIT: May want to ignore this. This gives a total count of each item that can be used in a script later on, but doesn't actually address the OP's real question.

A somewhat more roundabout way to do this is to use the Summary platform and then read the resulting table into whatever script object you would like. I've used an associative array here.

// create temporary summary table
new = Data Table( "Untitled 8" ) << Summary( Group( :color ) );
// make sure "Untitled 8" is the correct title of the original data, containing a column named "color"

// transfer result to associative array result = Associative Array(); // empty A.A. For Each Row(new, result << Insert Item(:color, :N Rows)); // populate A.A. Show(result); // display A.A. to log Close(new, No Save); // close temporary summary table

Creating a new column and assigning it the formula below does what you're after, I think:

Col Cumulative Sum( 1, :Color )