cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Atheena
Level I

Reg the discrete number input in custom design

While we choose to input the levels of operation of the factors by choosing "discrete number" option, should the levels maintain same interval between them?

1 REPLY 1
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Reg the discrete number input in custom design

Hi @Atheena,

Welcome in the Community !

There are no specific constraints about the interval between each level of a discrete numeric factor.

When creating your design, the only constraint is to maintain the numerical values ordering "These values have an implied order."Factors (jmp.com)

So your levels should be ordered like 1, 5, 8, 15, ... 

Capture d'écran 2024-03-07 082856.png

By default, for k levels of your discrete numeric factor, the assumed model by JMP may contain polynomial terms up to k-1 order (like in the screenshot taken, I have 4 levels in my X4 discrete numeric factor, so JMP has added in the model tab the terms X4*X4 and X4*X4*X4).

Note however that if you have strong differences between the intervals of your discrete numeric factor, this may affect the identification of statistically significant polynomial terms and the selection of an appropriate model, as it will be more difficult to find and fit a polynomial model if points are not homogeneously distributed.
Example here with data only close to the edges of the factor range, making it difficult to know which polynomial model complexity to choose :

Fitted-polynomial-curves-with-different-orders-using-the-calibration-data-points-for-2009.png

In case of doubt during the modeling, visualize the data, try the more simple models, and confirm the chosen model with domain expertise and validation points.

I hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics