I want it to look like this

MRM_1-1651539877403.png

How do I do this?

THanks!!!

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Re: Reduce number of x axis values on graph (too many tick marks) Time units

ght click on the axis and select Axis  Settings.  The dialog box that is displayed will allow you to change the tick marks etc.

Jim
MRM
MRM
Level II

u would think so, but it does not, or at least I dont know what option to change. 

here is the menu i see.

MRM_0-1651626890660.png

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The problem here is that you want to nest individual within start time. That can only work if both columns (time and individual) are categorical. Categorical axes have to have each unique value represented.

Perhaps you can tell us more about the kind of data you have and the relationship you're hoping to visualize or explore and we can suggest some alternative options that may give you the insight you're looking for.

I'm attaching a sample data table I mocked up to explore this. Note that both columns have the Ordinal modeling type to indicate that they are categorical. You can change either of them to Continuous to see how the axis behaves.

-Jeff
MRM
MRM
Level II

Thanks for explaining that. 

This graph is essentially total fish counts for a habitat survey within 2 min intervals over 3 days using aggerated data.  

The x axis is just bulky, maybe I will just edit it in photoshop.

Thanks for putting in the effort to help me!

Hi @MRM ,

Instead of nesting the two variables/columns, why not keep Start Time only as x-axis, then put same individual in the overlay zone and use side by side bar chart. You can change the colors to all be the same. Or you can use a stacked bar chart. This would definitely give you more control over the x-axis tick format

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
peng_liu
Staff

Not sure exactly what you want, but I make a little change to what @Jeff_Perkinson provided.

First, I did a Summary like this:

peng_liu_0-1651715117670.png

And I got a summary table. Then I modified column type of "Start time" to "Continuous":

peng_liu_1-1651715419750.png

Then I Graph Build N Rows vs Start time Overlaid by Same Individual, and I got this:

peng_liu_2-1651715487964.png

Compare to what produced by the script in Jeff's data table:

peng_liu_3-1651715529833.png

The profiles of the two graphs should be similar. You may further edit, e.g. colors, etc.