cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ravi814
Level II

Questions on Survey Analysis

Hi All, 

I am working on the survey data in JMP (Analyze --> Consumer Research --> Categorical) and i wanted to get your advise on the below

1. How to hide rows/columns in the survey output table ?
2. Is it possible combine two variables ? If yes, how can i do it  ? 
3. In the survey output table, if i have a supercategory in the 'Top' variable , it doesnt show up in the 'survey output table'. How can i ensure the 'supercategory' shows  up in the Top ? 

Thanks

Ravi

3 REPLIES 3
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Questions on Survey Analysis

When you say "survey output table" do you mean the cross tabulation table? If in the cross tab the only way I know is to use supercategories, show those categories and then hide the response levels....

When you say "comibine two variables" are you wanting to analyze two questions together or do you want to combine responses such as with supercategories?

For supercategories there is some control as to when to show them, you can show them in the cross tabs, not show them, or just show supercategories using various options.  There is a "show supercategories (or a hide) option. There is also a Response Levels option to hide response levels so that you are just left with supercategories.

The help docuemntation has a number of examples that you might find useful (it is lighth on the supercategory info). My bset advice to categorical is experiment with it a bit to figure out the right configurations for what you are looking for.  If you can post specific examples of where you are stuck we might be able to better help you - the categroical platform is highly depenent on data structure and which tab you are using, etc. So it is hard to help without seeing where you are stuck.

Karen

Ravi814
Level II

HI Karen,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i meant cross tabulation table by 'survey output table'.

I tried your suggestions on hiding response levels and showing only supercategories, but i realized it works only on the 'rows' variable of the cross tabulation, not on 'column' variable. Is there a reason or way i can show only supercategories for 'column' variable ?

Secondly, is there any other way i can hide certain response levels in the cross tabulation ? the intent is to simplify and see only those response leveles that i need for a certain objective.

Thank you

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Hi Ravi814,

The supercategoires work on the "main" response not the grouping variable so I am confused by your last post.  But a few things to try:

1. transpose your cross tab

2. try the structured tab

3. what about using tabulate with local data filters? You just have to be careful with how %s are being calculated.