cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Quadratic Regression Fit - Please Help

Hello,

When I perform a quadratic regression, it returns the form y=a+bx+c(x-d)^2. I would like it in the form y=a+bx+cx^2 so that I can have the correct parameter estimates. How can I do this - either change the way the model returns or change the parameters as needed?

Thanks,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Quadratic Regression Fit

Hi, Brian!

Try using the Fit Special... dialog of the Fit Y by X platform (Under the LIRT by Bivariate Fit).

Leave both Y and X as No Transformation, specify the degree as 2 Quadratic, and uncheck the Centered Polynomial checkbox.  That will give you the model you seek.

As an aside, JMP almost always centers the variables in analyses since it makes a lot of statistical sense (makes parameters comparable, etc.).

As another, more distant, aside LIRT stands for Little Inverted Red Triangle.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Quadratic Regression Fit

Hi, Brian!

Try using the Fit Special... dialog of the Fit Y by X platform (Under the LIRT by Bivariate Fit).

Leave both Y and X as No Transformation, specify the degree as 2 Quadratic, and uncheck the Centered Polynomial checkbox.  That will give you the model you seek.

As an aside, JMP almost always centers the variables in analyses since it makes a lot of statistical sense (makes parameters comparable, etc.).

As another, more distant, aside LIRT stands for Little Inverted Red Triangle.

Re: Quadratic Regression Fit - Please Help

Thanks Kevin! Exactly what I was looking for!