cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
thickey1
Level III

Pull ZIP Files from HTTP Link

I have published ZIP files and want to programmatically pull them and store to my PC using JSL. I don't know up front how many files will be present.

Is this possible with JSL?

zip.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Pull ZIP Files from HTTP Link

Or maybe this is closer to what you are asking:

path="https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/downloads/"; // a page with an index of files. Yours may be different format, adjust pattern below.
html = loadtextfile(path); // get the HTML text so we can scrape the links
// somewhat custom pattern for scraping the links, may be specific to this page
urls = {}; // this list will collect the urls 
rc = patmatch(html,
	patpos(0)+ // make sure the pattern matches from the start
	patrepeat( // this is the loop that extracts the urls from the html
		(
			// the urls look like <a href="2017%20Virginia%20Firearms%20Dealers%20Procedrures%20Manual.pdf">
			// and we want just the part between the quotation marks. Quickly scan forward (patBreak)
			// for a < then see if it matches. >>url grabs the text between quotation marks.
			(patbreak("<") + "<a href=\!"" + patbreak("\!"") >> url + pattest(insertinto(urls,url);1))
			| // OR
			patlen(1) // skip forward one character
		)
		+
		patfence() // fence off the successfully matched text. There is no need to backtrack if something goes wrong.
	) + 
	patrepeat(patnotany("<"),0) + // any trailing bits of html are consumed here
	patrpos(0) // make sure the pattern matches to the end
);

if(rc==0, throw("pattern did not match everything"));
show(nitems(urls),urls[6]); // pick item 6. You'll have a different strategy.

fullpath = path||regex(urls[6],"%20"," ",GLOBALREPLACE);// minimal effort to fix up the url, might need more work

pdfblob = loadtextfile(fullpath,blob); // download item 6, it is a pdf when this was written...
savetextfile("$temp/example.pdf",pdfblob); // save it somewhere
Craige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Craige_Hales
Super User

zip file from @wilkap presentation 

za=open("https://community.jmp.com/kvoqx44227/attachments/kvoqx44227/virtual-jug/12/1/VJUG%20July%202015.zip","zip");
zipfiles=za<<dir;
show(zipfiles);
blob=za<<read(zipfiles[4],format(blob));
dt=open(blob,jmp);
clearglobals(za);

several things to note

• the file is downloaded to your temp directory; the "zip" option to open returns a zip archive object
  • you can get a list of members from the zip archive using <<dir
  • you can use the blob format with zip archive for reading binary data like JMP tables
  • the 3rd line uses a 2nd argument to tell open that the blob is a JMP data table
  • clearing the za variable is needed if you rerun the whole script; the zip archive object keeps the file in the temp directory from being reused.
  • you could use loadtextfile/savetextfile with blobs to download the zip file to a location of your choice (and delete it when done) and then use the zip archive to process that file.
  • I already looked to see the 4th item in the archive directory was a JMP data table

Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

Or maybe this is closer to what you are asking:

path="https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/downloads/"; // a page with an index of files. Yours may be different format, adjust pattern below.
html = loadtextfile(path); // get the HTML text so we can scrape the links
// somewhat custom pattern for scraping the links, may be specific to this page
urls = {}; // this list will collect the urls 
rc = patmatch(html,
	patpos(0)+ // make sure the pattern matches from the start
	patrepeat( // this is the loop that extracts the urls from the html
		(
			// the urls look like <a href="2017%20Virginia%20Firearms%20Dealers%20Procedrures%20Manual.pdf">
			// and we want just the part between the quotation marks. Quickly scan forward (patBreak)
			// for a < then see if it matches. >>url grabs the text between quotation marks.
			(patbreak("<") + "<a href=\!"" + patbreak("\!"") >> url + pattest(insertinto(urls,url);1))
			| // OR
			patlen(1) // skip forward one character
		)
		+
		patfence() // fence off the successfully matched text. There is no need to backtrack if something goes wrong.
	) + 
	patrepeat(patnotany("<"),0) + // any trailing bits of html are consumed here
	patrpos(0) // make sure the pattern matches to the end
);

if(rc==0, throw("pattern did not match everything"));
show(nitems(urls),urls[6]); // pick item 6. You'll have a different strategy.

fullpath = path||regex(urls[6],"%20"," ",GLOBALREPLACE);// minimal effort to fix up the url, might need more work

pdfblob = loadtextfile(fullpath,blob); // download item 6, it is a pdf when this was written...
savetextfile("$temp/example.pdf",pdfblob); // save it somewhere
Craige
thickey1
Level III

Thanks Craig for the comprehensive reply. I'll take elements of both suggestions and merge into a generic function to suit my current and future needs.

I know I'd have to use a REGEXP to find the links from the HTTP Source but was hoping for a '<< saveLink' function for the zip part. :) 

This will work perfectly fine though.

Great answer(s)

Craige_Hales
Super User

Glad you can get something out of it! I'm pretty sure the pattern could be improved, speed-wise. Probably doesn't make a difference for directories of only a few thousand links, but the len(1) part could skip non-link text faster. And a more flexible pattern for the links would be better too.

@bryan_boone @ErnestPasour @paul_vezzetti 

Craige