Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
J_Bonnouvrier1
Level III

Problem to format numeric data from Txt file

Dear Community,

I am trying to build a jsl script to properly import data formatted as in the ecnlosed example file. I am facing to challenges:

- The decimal sign is "," instead of ".". By using the default setup of my regional preferences, JMP interprets the "," as a thousand delimiter. How to force JMP properly interpret these number within a jsl script?

- the negative numbers are formatted as follows: 64,000-. Can JMP handle such format.

One solution could be to re-format the txt file, but it is an extract from the ERP and the IT team does not understand that I don't manage to handle such file wheras Excel does.

Thanks and regards,

Jérôme

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem to format numeric data from Txt file

Hi,

You might try something like the following; while you mention that IT does not understand your problem, you can use JSL to reformat the file yourself. While there is likely an import setting to handle the commas-as-decimals, I cannot think of it offhand and cannot find it in the documentation. Perhaps someone else will reply with that setting. Until then, see if this does the trick. I've attached a sample file; if you place it in your Downloads folder the script will hopefully run without modifications.

Names Default To Here( 1 );

//set these to reflect your path and file name

path = "$DOWNLOADS/";
origFile = "example.txt";
holdFile = "example_modified.txt";

//get text of original file and replace commas with decimals
txt = Substitute( Load Text File( path || origFile ), ",", "." );

//save resulting text to a file, open this file as a table, then delete the file
Save Text File( path || holdFile, txt );
dt = Open( path || holdFile );
Delete File( path || holdFile );

//create a new column. if the last character is not "-", the string is immediately converted to a number. If the last
//character IS a "-", the string is converted to a number after the "-" is moved to the first character of the string
dt << New Column( "xx", formula( Num( If( Right( :INFO, 1 ) != "-", :INFO, "-" || Left( :INFO, Length( :INFO ) - 1 ) ) ) ) );

//remove the formula, so we can delete the original INFO column and rename our new column to INFO
dt:xx << Delete Formula;
dt << Delete Columns( "INFO" );
dt:xx << set name( "INFO" );

Cheers,

Brady

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

You might try something like the following; while you mention that IT does not understand your problem, you can use JSL to reformat the file yourself. While there is likely an import setting to handle the commas-as-decimals, I cannot think of it offhand and cannot find it in the documentation. Perhaps someone else will reply with that setting. Until then, see if this does the trick. I've attached a sample file; if you place it in your Downloads folder the script will hopefully run without modifications.

Names Default To Here( 1 );

//set these to reflect your path and file name

path = "$DOWNLOADS/";
origFile = "example.txt";
holdFile = "example_modified.txt";

//get text of original file and replace commas with decimals
txt = Substitute( Load Text File( path || origFile ), ",", "." );

//save resulting text to a file, open this file as a table, then delete the file
Save Text File( path || holdFile, txt );
dt = Open( path || holdFile );
Delete File( path || holdFile );

//create a new column. if the last character is not "-", the string is immediately converted to a number. If the last
//character IS a "-", the string is converted to a number after the "-" is moved to the first character of the string
dt << New Column( "xx", formula( Num( If( Right( :INFO, 1 ) != "-", :INFO, "-" || Left( :INFO, Length( :INFO ) - 1 ) ) ) ) );

//remove the formula, so we can delete the original INFO column and rename our new column to INFO
dt:xx << Delete Formula;
dt << Delete Columns( "INFO" );
dt:xx << set name( "INFO" );

Cheers,

Brady

J_Bonnouvrier1
Level III

I love this smart solution, I didn't know this way to modify txt files directly. Thank you very much!