cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mtrain
Level II

Probability plot for log-normal distribution fitting

Hi,

Is there an option to view the probability plot when making a log-normal fit with a distribution analysis?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Probability plot for log-normal distribution fitting

Hi,

From the red hotspot of beside the name of your column in the Distribution platform choose "Continuous Fit -->Fit lognormal."  Then, from red hotspot beside "Fitted Lognormal Distribution," choose "Diagnostic Plots."  You then have the option of fitting the P-P and/or Q-Q plots.  Is that what you're looking for?  

View solution in original post

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@mtrain,

@HadleyMyers provided you with a solution. However, if your lognormal distribution has a large mean and/or variance, the scaling on the QQ plot usually does not have the familiar custom probability plot that scales the Y axes like custom probability paper (yes I am showing my age, things we used pre graphical calculator/computer days).

I suggest you right click on the column of data you're fitting, select Transform and use Log, then Continuous Fit >  Fit Normal.

Below is a screenshot of  Analyze > Distribution > Continuous Fit > Fit Normal of 100 random lognormal(4,2) values transformed with Log. The table with script is attached. 

Another suggestsion is to use the QQ plot that Hadley suggested and click on the Y axis of he QQ plot and change Linear to Log.  

image.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

From the red hotspot of beside the name of your column in the Distribution platform choose "Continuous Fit -->Fit lognormal."  Then, from red hotspot beside "Fitted Lognormal Distribution," choose "Diagnostic Plots."  You then have the option of fitting the P-P and/or Q-Q plots.  Is that what you're looking for?  

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@mtrain,

@HadleyMyers provided you with a solution. However, if your lognormal distribution has a large mean and/or variance, the scaling on the QQ plot usually does not have the familiar custom probability plot that scales the Y axes like custom probability paper (yes I am showing my age, things we used pre graphical calculator/computer days).

I suggest you right click on the column of data you're fitting, select Transform and use Log, then Continuous Fit >  Fit Normal.

Below is a screenshot of  Analyze > Distribution > Continuous Fit > Fit Normal of 100 random lognormal(4,2) values transformed with Log. The table with script is attached. 

Another suggestsion is to use the QQ plot that Hadley suggested and click on the Y axis of he QQ plot and change Linear to Log.  

image.png

mtrain
Level II

Hi gzmorgan0,
I agree, making the log transformation is a great way to get the intervals on the plot too. I did this before but was also wondering about getting a plot for the log fit. The PP/QQ do a good job.
Thanks for the help.
mtrain
Level II

Hi Hadley,
That is what I was looking for but without the confidence interval. But not a big deal.
Thanks for showing me around.