cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Predict (not inverse predict) from regression?

I used fit model to create a linear regression model. I need to determine the upper one-sided 95% CI y result given x. I only see options to inverse predict x by y. How can I determine this value?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Predict (not inverse predict) from regression?

Many ways to accomplish this. One simple way is to save the 95% CI interval formula as a column in the data table. This is attractive because it creates a formula in the column properties and then you can enter any x value in the x value column and the appropriate estimate will populate in the data table. 

View solution in original post

dlehman1
Level IV

You find all those options for prediction intervals under Save Columns.  Inverse prediction is found under Estimates (different entry under the red arrow in the model report).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Many ways to accomplish this. One simple way is to save the 95% CI interval formula as a column in the data table. This is attractive because it creates a formula in the column properties and then you can enter any x value in the x value column and the appropriate estimate will populate in the data table. 

dlehman1
Level IV

You find all those options for prediction intervals under Save Columns.  Inverse prediction is found under Estimates (different entry under the red arrow in the model report).

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Or if you really want to impress your colleagues at meetings or cocktail parties, pretty much every y by x type graph in JMP enables the JMP cross hair tool. So the technique to show off JMP's dynamic graphing capability is to invoke the cross hair tool, then click hold and slide horizontally along the x axis to your desired x value, then slide vertically in the y direction until the cross hair is at the interval limit and read off the pop up values for x and y. Then ask..."Anybody wanna try that in Excel?"