cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
anne_sa
Level VI

Power analysis - several measurements per individual

Hello everybody,

I have an experiment with several measurements per individual of each sample. I would like to study the impact on the sample size and also the number of measurements per individual on the power and difference that can be detected between two samples. I wanted to use the platform Sample Size and Power - Two Sample Means, but if I am not wrong it doesn't allow to take into account the number of measurements per individual. Is there another tool or maybe script that I could use to investigate this question?

Thanks for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
statman
Super User

Re: Power analysis - several measurements per individual

just to reiterate, you should really look at the within fruit data before just taking the mean.  Is it consistent?  Are there any unusual points?  If it is consistent and there are not any unusual points, then the mean will be an appropriate statistic.  You might also want the standard deviation as that represents within fruit variation.  You might find factors that effect variability (vs. just the mean).

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
anne_sa
Level VI

Re: Power analysis - several measurements per individual

You are right @statman, since there are quite variability between the different measurements, taking just the mean may not be the best option to catch all information. Keeping the raw data or adding the standard deviation, as you suggest, can be relevant.