cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DanAlexander
Level III

Possible to add automatic graph creation in JSL script?

Hello,

I wrote a JSL to organize experimental data which updates 22 data tables (corresponding to products), each containing columns for different physicochemical parameters (e.g. pH, osmolality). Currently, I am manually creating graphs using the Graph Builder feature and 'saving script to data table', however I was wondering if it was possible to write this into the main JSL script that is generating my data tables? 

Each graph displays a particular parameter on the y-axis, and time on the x-axis, so I want to write code that generates graphs in each data table for each parameter, rather than having to manually make the graphs and save the script. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Re: Possible to add automatic graph creation in JSL script?

Hi @DanAlexander,

I second @txnelson that checking the JSL Scripting Guide would really be useful given the complexity of what you are trying to do.

But to get you started, here is an example that attempts to do something similar to what you described.

The "setup" function creates a few data views from the sample data "CrimeData.jmp" file, to simulate your product subsets, and associates them with different subset of the table columns.

The "build_graphs" shows how to use JSL to create graphs from a template. It is a simple matter of using variable substitution.

The graphs are combined in a single window using a V List Box.

I hope this is helpful!

View solution in original post

nascif_jmp
Level VI

All right, please see attached for JMP 15 compatible version.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
txnelson
Super User

Absolutely, you can add the ability to run a Graph Builder platform in JSL in your main program., If you interactively run the Graph Builder you want, you can then go to the red triangle and select save script. if you save it to a script window, you will be able to see the JSL required to produce the graph. Without more specifics about your script, it is pretty hard to go beyond my above suggestion.
Jim
DanAlexander
Level III

Hi Jim,

This is an example of a graph builder script in my program:

Graph Builder(
	Size( 1263, 901 ),
	Variables(
		X( :Name( "Time (Months)" ) ),
		Y( :Name( "% Adsorption" ) ),
		Overlay( :Lot Number )
	),
	Elements(
		Points( X, Y, Legend( 13 ) ),
		Line Of Fit( X, Y, Legend( 15 ), Confidence of Fit( 0 ) )
	));

My concern is that due to the size of my script, I would have to write 100+ iterations of the above script to cover all different data tables and y-axis parameters. I was wondering if I could create a list of all the y-axis parameters and call upon that list in the above script?

My main script basically sorts a raw data database into 22 'product subset' data tables, each of which is specific for a particular product. There are about 30 different physicochemical parameters, each of which needs to have a separate graph vs. time. However, not every parameter applies to every product. I.e. a particular data table may only contain 10 of the 30 parameters. 

txnelson
Super User

There are multiple ways of doing this. You could just create a separate data table that has a column for every product, and then place in the rows, for the physicochemical parameters for that product. Then you script would just have to determine the product it is working on, and read from the column in the configuration data table the parameters to process.
If you haven't read the Scripting Guide, it is now the time to do so.
Jim
DanAlexander
Level III

I'm just wondering, it may be possible to do this using the 'For each row' function, if each row corresponds to a different y-axis parameter like you said.  

nascif_jmp
Level VI

Hi @DanAlexander,

I second @txnelson that checking the JSL Scripting Guide would really be useful given the complexity of what you are trying to do.

But to get you started, here is an example that attempts to do something similar to what you described.

The "setup" function creates a few data views from the sample data "CrimeData.jmp" file, to simulate your product subsets, and associates them with different subset of the table columns.

The "build_graphs" shows how to use JSL to create graphs from a template. It is a simple matter of using variable substitution.

The graphs are combined in a single window using a V List Box.

I hope this is helpful!

DanAlexander
Level III

Thank you for sharing the example script with the Setup and Build-graphs functions. I was able to adapt these functions for my script successfully!

I was wondering, is it possible to save the graph window as a separate file in the same directory as my data tables? I use the 'Close' function throughout my script to save the different data tables, but I am unsure how to use the function to save the graph windows generated using V List Box in the 'Build_graphs' function. 

For example throughout my script I have variations of: 

Close( dtProduct, Save( save_path_example || "dtProduct.JMP"));
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Hi there,

Yes, you sure can. I didn't know how but a quick look in the available options for the Window Object in the Scripting Index pointed me to the "Save Window Report" function.

Please see the attached file. It fixes a bug in the build_graphs function (it was not returning the window reference) and adds the following line to the end of the script:

win << Save Window Report( "automated_gb2.jrp", embed data( 1 ) );

DanAlexander
Level III

Hi,

I tried using the 'Save Window Report' function, however the script is giving the error in the attached image.  Also strangely I did not find that function in the Scripting index for Window Object. 

The error reads as follows: 'Send Expects Scriptable Object in access or evaluation of 'Send' ,win << /*###*/Save Window Report ("automated_gb2.jrp", embed data(1)) /*###*/

nascif_jmp
Level VI

Hello,
1) I made a change to build_graphs, the first version was not returning the window reference. Did you update yours?
2) What version of JMP you're using?