Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rlangsner
Level II

Plot change in temperature over time on a 3D plot or Contour Plot

Hi,

I am using JMP 16 and am trying to see if JMP has the capability to plot the change in temperature over time at different positions in X,Y,Z space. I have the locations (in inches), temperature data, and time data for all 11 positions, but I cannot seem to find a good way to display the  temp changes at each position over time. In an ideal world, I would like to be able to plot the changes over a 3-Dimensional space, but I am unsure if JMP can even do that. Therefore, I would be ok even plotting change in temperature over time in 2 dimensions. 

To see if this is even possible, I took a subset of my data (attached) to play with. I used Scatterplot 3D to and was able to see the temperatures plotted as spheres with different diameters for temperature. I did not make it very far using this method though as there was no way to plot the changes in diameter over time and it was difficult to visualize the small differences in temperature with the spheres. I also tried plotting with Surface Profiler, but was unsuccessful setting my variables correctly to even get a good representation of the 3D surface (probably a limitation of mine as a user).  

Seeing as how I was struggling with 3 dimensions, I tried moving to 2 and was a bit more successful. I tried a Bubble plot using 2 of the 3 dimensional locations (see "Bubble Plot" JSL code below), but the deltas between my temperature spots are too small to get anything meaning out of the change in bubble diameter over time.

Additionally, I think the data is more meaningful if I have a temperature gradient rather than bubbles.  Is there a way to implement a contour map that changes over time like the Bubble Plot does? (I included a basic contour plot JSL Code below to indicate the type of plot I would be looking for. If I could show how this contour changed over time, I would be happy). 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Bubble Plot code: 

<JSL> Bubble Plot(
X( :"X Location (inches)"n ),
Y( :"Z Location (inches)"n ),
Sizes( :Data ),
Time( :Time ),
Coloring( :RTD Position ),
ID( :RTD Position ),
Time Index( 161.8 ),
Title Position( 4.01041666666667, -3.565 ),
SendToReport(
Dispatch(
{},
"X Location (inches)",
ScaleBox,
{Format( "Best", 9 ), Min( 0 ), Max( 17.5 ), Inc( 5 ), Minor Ticks( 1 )}
),
Dispatch(
{},
"Z Location (inches)",
ScaleBox,
{Format( "Best", 9 ), Min( -4.5 ), Max( 1 ), Inc( 1 ), Minor Ticks( 1 )}
),
Dispatch( {}, "Bubble Plot", FrameBox, {Frame Size( 1645, 737 )} )
)
);

2D Contour Plot - If I could get something like this to plot over time, then I would be satisfied with this.

<JSL> Contour Plot(
X( :"X Location (inches)"n, :"Z Location (inches)"n ),
Y( :Data ),
Show Data Points( 0 ),
Fill Areas( 1 ),
Label Contours( 0 ),
Transform( "Range Normalized" ),
Specify Contours( Min( 32 ), Max( 37 ), N( 6 ) ),
SendToReport(
Dispatch(
{},
"1111",