Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
cbaril
Level III

Place summary data in main table

Hello,

I have a summary table and would like to transfer part of the data into the non-summarised table (see attachment).

Value C1 would be transferred to all rows that have values A1 and B1 in columns A and B respectively. 

I have tried Rows > "Join" and "Update" but I can't find the result I need.

Would you know how to perform this new column?

Thank you in advance for your support!

Best
Claire

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: Place summary data in main table

Hi Claire,

It should be possible to do this with a table join. You just need to specify A and B as your matching columns.

You can also do this with a click-and-drag operation from the summary table to the original table:

Click and hold on the column header for the summary column, wait, then drag and drop into the column header for the first unused column in the original table.

I hope this helps,

Phil

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Kay
Staff

Hi Claire,

It should be possible to do this with a table join. You just need to specify A and B as your matching columns.

You can also do this with a click-and-drag operation from the summary table to the original table:

Click and hold on the column header for the summary column, wait, then drag and drop into the column header for the first unused column in the original table.

I hope this helps,

Phil

cbaril
Level III

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Below in orange my answers to your message.

Best,

Claire

Hi Claire,

This works! Thank you!!

When I do this, it copies the column of my summary table into the new column but does not copy according to matching columns (I have the same number of rows filled in the new column as in the summary table).

I hope this helps,

Phil

Phil_Kay
Staff

Okay. I am glad that the table join worked. I am not sure why the click-and-drag option did not work. I don't know how it works out how to match the columns. I think that the summary table needs to be linked to the original data table, which it will be by default if you use Tables > Summary. If the tables are linked then the columns in the summary table should have "padlock" icons next to them:

Phil_Kay_0-1680520176977.png