cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jb
jb
Level IV

Pie Charts - Label by Percent of Total Values

Hello. I scripted some pie charts using Graph Builder and labelled them by percent of total values.

Even though the frame size is a square (220x220), the labels are cut off by the frame/graph border.  See pie charts A, D, & E:

Six_Pie_Charts_with_Labels.png

Am I doing something wrong?  Please see attached script.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jb
jb
Level IV

Re: Pie Charts - Label by Percent of Total Values

A big thank you to all my topic responders...

• Dale:  How to write a Column Formula for percent of total
  • Jim:  Info about Graph Builder labeling (non)functionality
  • Kevin:  A good laugh

While Dale's stacked bar chart suggestion was interesting, I couldn't use it since I've been tasked with creating dozens of scorecards -- each with its own pie chart and other metrics.

I ended up using a rounded percent (via Column Formula) and applying "Label by Value" to the pie chart. Here are updated graphs for A & D:

Pie_Charts_with_Labels_2.png

While it would be nice to display a percent "%" sign, the percent numbers now show completely.  Cheers!

JB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dale_lehman
Level VII

This is probably not what you were looking for, but I'd say what you are doing wrong is using pie charts.  I've attached one version of what you are doing that I think works better (run the enclosed script).  In my view, almost anything works better than pie charts for this data.

dale_lehman
Level VII

And a somewhat improved version

txnelson
Super User

I will second @dale_lehman comment about pie charts.  And I will also comment on the Graph Builder labeling.  It isn't very strong.  So I am sure that you are not doing anything wrong with the pie charts.

Jim
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

image.png

jb
jb
Level IV

A big thank you to all my topic responders...

• Dale:  How to write a Column Formula for percent of total
  • Jim:  Info about Graph Builder labeling (non)functionality
  • Kevin:  A good laugh

While Dale's stacked bar chart suggestion was interesting, I couldn't use it since I've been tasked with creating dozens of scorecards -- each with its own pie chart and other metrics.

I ended up using a rounded percent (via Column Formula) and applying "Label by Value" to the pie chart. Here are updated graphs for A & D:

Pie_Charts_with_Labels_2.png

While it would be nice to display a percent "%" sign, the percent numbers now show completely.  Cheers!

JB

allysonE
Level I

Is there a better solution than just removing the % signs? I am having the same issue as OP, but mine doesn't seem resolvable by removing the %. For context, I used graph builder, put my data as the X axis, created a pie chart, and used "vendor" as the wrap. I understand I can remove the wrap and see the full %, but this seems like a poor solution and I would like to see the two graphs next to each other.

piechart.JPG