cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
wsande
Level I

Overlay graph changes scaling when I change Local Data Filter - How to stop this?

I make an Overlay plot and then manually change the y-axis scaling.  Then I change my Local Data Filter, and plot scaling changes - my manual settings are lost, and the plot re-autoscales.  How can I sto pit fro mdoing that?  I'd like th escaling to stay where I set it, even when I adjust the Local Data Filter.

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Re: Overlay graph changes scaling when I change Local Data Filter - How to stop this?

Go to the Red Triangle for the plot, and select
Redo==>Automatic Recalc
The Automatic Recalc needs to be unselected, and then your scaling will not change from your settings
Jim

Re: Overlay graph changes scaling when I change Local Data Filter - How to stop this?

I had to try Jim's suggestion, because I wasn't sure that the Local Data Filter would still work if you turned off Auto Recalc.  I'm not sure that the behavior is actually correct, but it does work!

I will go ahead and offer the alternative that I was going to suggest.  The overlay role in Graph Builder is a good long-term solution, as Overlay Plot is legacy and on the path for replacement.  In Graph Builder, the Lock Scales option offers explicit control of the axis and color scales to determine whether they change with data filter (or table row-states) updates.  Depending on your filter groups and how much they differ, both approaches can be useful for different data.

Another suggestion when using Overlay Plot would be to toggle off the Include option in the Data Filter.  Changing the include/exclude state is really the option that requires the use of Automatic Recalc.  If you only hide/show points no recompute is performed, including the axes.  Be cautious about turning off Include or Automatic Recalc in the analytic platforms - lines of fit and other statistics will not be recomputed without this option.  In graph platforms like Overlay Plot the difference is more subtle, like the axis update.

wsande
Level I

Thanks for that suggestion.  It did what I wanted. I would not have thought something called "recalculation" would have that effect.

txnelson
Super User

Automatic recalc = recalculation

Jim
wsande
Level I

I get that, I just didn't consider scaling a graph to be a 'calculation'.  Recalculating fit lines, etc., yes.