cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
kca
kca
Level II

Open data tables from file dialog

Is there a file open dialog box where I can select several files and have it return a list of files for my JSL script to operate on?  I would prefer to have the standard Windows one that one sees when they press File > Open in JMP.

Edit:  'Pick File' is the command I was looking for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The dialog that comes up when running Open(), or Pick File(), looks exactly like a standard File > Open dialog (at least in JMP 9 on the Mac) but it seems to be limited. In contrast to the standard open-dialog only one file can be selected in the open-dialog called from JSL.

In Mac OS X I haven't found a way to open the standard dialog from script, but it may be possible on Windows where JMP can call dll-files. I am not of much help in that area but there som amazing examples in other threads of what can be done via dll.

If you would find a way to do that, the code below can be used to get a list of the names of the last opened data tables.

nr_of_already_open_tables = N Table;

Open( );// some clever dll funcion or similar

last_opened_tables = Local( {i, d = {}},

For( i = 1, i <= N Table() - nr_of_already_open_tables, i++,

d[i] = Data Table( i ) << GetName

);

d;

);

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The dialog that comes up when running Open(), or Pick File(), looks exactly like a standard File > Open dialog (at least in JMP 9 on the Mac) but it seems to be limited. In contrast to the standard open-dialog only one file can be selected in the open-dialog called from JSL.

In Mac OS X I haven't found a way to open the standard dialog from script, but it may be possible on Windows where JMP can call dll-files. I am not of much help in that area but there som amazing examples in other threads of what can be done via dll.

If you would find a way to do that, the code below can be used to get a list of the names of the last opened data tables.

nr_of_already_open_tables = N Table;

Open( );// some clever dll funcion or similar

last_opened_tables = Local( {i, d = {}},

For( i = 1, i <= N Table() - nr_of_already_open_tables, i++,

d[i] = Data Table( i ) << GetName

);

d;

);

kca
kca
Level II

Thanks, MS.  You are right that even on Windows I can only select a single file.  However, it turned out that is all the functionality I need.   Your code snipet did come in quite handy after that!