cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Hegedus1
Level III

Oneway Analysis Excluded points are hidden even when not set so

Hi,

JMP 16.

Doing simple oneway for a class I am teaching and in creating a simple oneway graph I would like to exclude certain points but still show them on the graph.  In earlier versions of JMP this was a no brainer but it does not seem to work as previous.

The starting graph is very simple

Hegedus1_0-1623362859177.png

The objective is to exclude the high points in group A and refit.

I select the points and exclude, but DO NOT HIDE.

Hegedus1_1-1623362935217.png

When I do the fir again and set the axis range to the same range. I copied the axis settings and pasted them to the new graph to ensure the same range is covered.  The points are not visible.  Previous versions would show them.  Is there something changed in JMP 16?

Hegedus1_2-1623363010720.png

Andy

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Oneway Analysis Excluded points are hidden even when not set so

How do you "do the fit again?"

The current behavior is consistent with the intention of the row states. The excluded rows are not entered into the analysis, and so they are not shown in the plot.

Please note that I am not justifying this behavior. I am only explaining it.

I do not have JMP earlier than version 15.2.1 but it also behaves this way.

dale_lehman
Level VII

So, I believe the proper way to do what Hegedus wants is to do the Fit Y by X graph first, then exclude (but not hide) those rows, and then do the pooled T test.  The test will ignore the excluded points, but the points will still be in the graph.

Hegedus1
Level III

A second test,

Add a column with row number and plot as Bivariate.  After plotting you need to rescale the Y axis since the range in truncated, however the points are shown.  This is the behavior I expect by the terms hidden and excluded being separate states.

Hegedus1_0-1623675686600.png

We already confirmed the behavior in Bivariate and Oneway. It is known that Oneway handles excluded rows differently than the other platforms launched using the Fit Y by X command.

dale_lehman
Level VII

OK, now I'm officially confused.  I just looked at a data set with a clear outlier, using Fit Y by X.  When I analyze it and compare the results to what I get if I first exclude (but not hide) the outlier, the results differ but the graphs are the same.  Isn't this the way it is supposed to work?  So, why is the question saying it did not work that way, and why are you saying that behavior about the Fit Y by X platform treats excluded observations differently?  Is it only the Oneway analysis that differs from the rest of the Fit Y by X platform?  If so, how does it treat it differently?

If you exclude rows in Oneway, the excluded rows should still show in the plot, but if you redo the analysis, they won't show, even though you did not hide them. This behavior is different from the other three platforms launched by the Fit Y by X command.

pwenz
Level I

I just stumbled on this after using JMP for 25 years.  I've always explained that hide and exclude are independent operations, typically you use them together (hence the first "hide and exclude" option under rows menu) but there are times that you'd like independent control.  Seems that if you hide but not exclude, it behaves as expected- the point is not on the plot but the t-test includes the hidden point.  The converse is not true, if you exclude but do not hide, there is no way to show the point on the plot.  I wanted to show the outliers on the plot, but present the statistics on the outlier screened results.  Is this really by design or is this a bug?