cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MPK
MPK
Level II

On Mac Big Sur JSL seems to detect a file indicating deletion of one or more files

Hi,

I'm puzzled by the detection of deleted files by JSL (JMP 16.0.0 on a Mac Big Sur 11.6.8).  I created a folder containing 8 files and ran the following script:

Names Default To Here( 1 );

TargetDir = Pick Directory();
TargetFiles = Files In Directory( TargetDir );

N_TargetFiles = N items(TargetFiles);
show(N_TargetFiles);

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( TargetFiles ), i++,
	sample = Left( TargetFiles[i], Contains( TargetFiles[i], "." ) - 1 );
	Show( sample );
);

The Log indicates 8 files were detected (see attached, first run).  Then I deleted one file in the folder and ran the script again.  The Log still indicates 8 files are present and it includes a "" to indicate that one was deleted (see attached, second run).  If I start over with 8 files and delete 6, 3 are detected, one of which is "", so maybe "" indicates a temporary file indicating files were deleted.

Is this a known behavior of JSL/JMP on a Mac or with Big Sur?  How can I avoid including the "" item in the count and on the list?

Thanks for your input.

Log showing detection of deleted file.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: On Mac Big Sur JSL seems to detect a file indicating deletion of one or more files

Sounds like a bug, perhaps in JMP. As a workaround, untested code (no Mac here):

x = {"a", "b", "", "c"};
Show( x );
y = Filter Each( {filename}, x, filename != "" );
Show( y );

x = {"a", "b", "", "c"};
y = {"a", "b", "c"};

@Audrey_Shull 

Craige

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: On Mac Big Sur JSL seems to detect a file indicating deletion of one or more files

Sounds like a bug, perhaps in JMP. As a workaround, untested code (no Mac here):

x = {"a", "b", "", "c"};
Show( x );
y = Filter Each( {filename}, x, filename != "" );
Show( y );

x = {"a", "b", "", "c"};
y = {"a", "b", "c"};

@Audrey_Shull 

Craige
MPK
MPK
Level II

Thanks very much for your help.  I discovered the mystery file is a hidden .DS_Store file that occupies a Mac directory when one or more files is deleted, which I confirmed in my directories using Terminal ls -a to reveal hidden files. I renamed the file list in my previous script, then modified your suggested syntax to filter away the .DS_Store file (see blue script below). The script counts files properly and avoids the mystery "" file.

The goal is to automate file processing on a selected folder containing target files. I was working through an alternative approach to select only files with the desired .txt extension, which might also exclude other "contaminating" files in a directory, but since your suggestion worked I'll likely continue with it.

I would call this a Mac bug rather than a JMP bug, but I suppose that's arguable.

Names Default To Here( 1 );

TargetDir = Pick Directory();
Files = Files In Directory( TargetDir );

TargetFiles = Filter Each( {filename}, Files, filename != ".DS_Store" );

N_TargetFiles = N Items( TargetFiles );
Show( N_TargetFiles );

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( TargetFiles ), i++,
	sample = Left( TargetFiles[i], Contains( TargetFiles[i], "." ) - 1 );
	Show( sample );
);

Thanks for tagging me, @Craige_Hales. I can confirm that this was a bug in JMP related to the invisible .DS_Store file that appears on Mac to store history information for a folder. I can also confirm it has been addressed in JMP 17, which will be released in a couple of months. Thanks for providing the nice workaround!