cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
profjmb
Level II

Omega hierarchical (reliability)

My snobby psychometrics colleagues don't like alpha (even though it's used 98% of the time), because one can get a high alpha even if one has no general factor. Omega (hierarchical; not general) is the solution. I am writing to plea for consideration for future JMP (or if anyone is sufficiently challenged, an add-in). Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Re: Omega hierarchical (reliability)

Make sure you submit the request to the JMP Wish List?

Jim
LauraCS
Staff

Thank you @profjmb!  It's a great suggestion. I just added it to our to-do list. We'll eventually get to it! 

Best,

~Laura

Laura C-S
LauraCS
Staff

Hello @profjmb,

I just wanted to let you know that JMP 16.0 will have an option to obtain coefficient omega from a CFA. Whether users obtain omega hierarchical or general will depend of the type of CFA that was fit. For example, a standard CFA with 3 factors would result in omega_general for subscales. However, if such CFA is extended to a bifactor model (by adding a general factor that loads on all manifest variables), the result will be omega_hierarchical for the general factor and omega_hierarchical for subscales for the group factors. This follows the review of omega coefficients in Rodriguez, Reise, & Haviland (2015). These options are available in the Early Adopter program so we'll keep improving them as we receive feedback.

Thank you again for your suggestion!

~Laura

Laura C-S
Fernando
Level I

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the info. 

I'm trying to obtain the coefficient omega using the early adopter but I cannot find it.

Please could you provide indications about where to find it in the program?

Thanks

LauraCS
Staff

Dear @Fernando,

We included coefficient omega as part of a "mini dashboard" of related statistics that quantify the adequacy of the measurement model at hand, thus, you'll find it in under the red triangle menu for a fitted model as, "Assess Measurement Model."

Best,

~Laura

Laura C-S