cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Normalize data by overlay in Graph Builder with local data filter

I have a graph I'm making in graph builder (I could use bivariate too) and using a local data filter. 

11627_pastedImage_4.png

I'm wondering if there's a way to auto-normalize these graphs so that they're on the same scale?  I tried to do the range scale, but it doesn't seems to take into account the overlay or the local data filter from what I can tell. 

Currently I do this:

local data filter, subset

make a column that divides column by its own col max with overlay as the by

plot new column

Thank you,

Vince

Vince Faller - Predictum
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jerry_cooper
Staff (Retired)

Re: Normalize data by overlay in Graph Builder with local data filter

If I'm reading this correctly, I think this will give you what you are looking for:

1. Modify the Range Scale formula to include your overlay variable as your By group variable and then add the Excluded() argument. See below example from the Semiconductor Capability sample data table using the NPN1 column with SITE as the by variable :

11635_pastedImage_0.png

2. Use the Global Data Filter to filter the NPN1 (or your Y) variable. Be sure to check the "Show" and "Include" boxes on the Global Filter. This will change the Range Scaled column data result to reflect the filtered range of your Y variable.

The Local Data Filter will not work since you need the filter to work on the table and the graph.

Hope that helps.

-Jerry

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

If I am interpreting your question accurately, what I think you want, is to standardize the data, and then graph all of the data on the same graph.  You can do this by passing all of the columns you want to graph through the Distribution platform, and then to select the red triangle option of Save==>Standardized.  You can then go to Graph Builder and select all of the standardized columns and drag them to your Y axis.

11628_pastedImage_0.png

Jim
ian_jmp
Staff

As Jim implies, it's possible to read your question more than one way. So it might be that the 'Lock Scales' option from the Graph Builder red triangle is what you are looking for.

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

No sorry. I have 1 column of Ys that I'm overlaying by some by column.  I'm using a local data filter to select out only some of the data.

I'm trying to make the Y profiles of each group to be on the same scale. 

Trying to make this:

11629_pastedImage_0.png

Go to this:

11630_pastedImage_1.png

Vince Faller - Predictum
jerry_cooper
Staff (Retired)

If I'm reading this correctly, I think this will give you what you are looking for:

1. Modify the Range Scale formula to include your overlay variable as your By group variable and then add the Excluded() argument. See below example from the Semiconductor Capability sample data table using the NPN1 column with SITE as the by variable :

11635_pastedImage_0.png

2. Use the Global Data Filter to filter the NPN1 (or your Y) variable. Be sure to check the "Show" and "Include" boxes on the Global Filter. This will change the Range Scaled column data result to reflect the filtered range of your Y variable.

The Local Data Filter will not work since you need the filter to work on the table and the graph.

Hope that helps.

-Jerry

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Yeah.  I'm intentionally only using the local data filter.  I know I can get it to work with the global.  But yes, you were understanding my question correctly.  

Vince Faller - Predictum