cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
scottahindle
Level IV

No line break between some of the points in a time series plot

I have a series of measurements where in order I have position A, B, C, then again A, B, C and so on.

Of interest is whether there is any tendency for values to be biggest/smallest at either A or C position. This is not the case - the fluctuations are just random.

Now I'm thinking of how to present the outcome in a suitable graph.

I would like to use a line break between each set when plotting the graph, meaning:

- Add line between points 1 and 2, and 2 and 3

- No line between points 3 and 4

- Add line between points 4 and 5, and 5 and 6

- No line between points 6 and 7

AND SO ON to the end of the data set

What I have done is attached, but it is rather cumbersome and is also just a subset of the total data. I have to drag each x-axis separately and then format each separately as well.

Is there a quicker way to this than I've described above and shown in attached? My method works but it doesn't seem very optimal with so many manual steps involved.

Hence, key question: If I plot the data in sequence order, what is the best way to get a graph where some of the points are connected with a line, and some of the points not connected? Adding lines in a selective manner makes the graph easier to read and more informative. Connecting all the points makes the graph much less useful.

Thanks, Scott.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: No line break between some of the points in a time series plot

Use Sample ID in the Group X role. (see attached)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Kay
Staff

Use Sample ID in the Group X role. (see attached)

scottahindle
Level IV

Thanks, Phil. 

This morning I also used Overlay to create the desired effect in terms of the "picture". The advantage is that there is just "one" x-axis to work with which makes things a bit easier.

Graph builder is a great tool!

Phil_Kay
Staff

No problem. Yes, my general advice with Graph Builder is to learn by playing. Try putting variables in different roles and see what happens. You can't break anything.

"Graph builder is a great tool!" - Isn't it just!