cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
althompsonphd
Level II

New instance of JMP® is opened each time a new file is opened

Hi everyone,

I've searched around and found some solutions to the problem that I am having, but none of them have seem to worked for me, so I thought I would just ask again to see if anyone might have some additional insight.

I help train colleagues at our company in using JMP and one problem that we regularly encounter is that if someone opens a file from Windows Explorer while they already had another JMP file open, the new file opens in an entirely different instance of JMP, thus cluttering up the taskbar and making it impossible to carry out tasks between the two files (like merging the two tables, etc). Obviously, once we realize that is the problem, we save the file, shut down the second instance of JMP, and reopen the file in the original instance, but this is a problem that frustrates many of us, so I thought instead of being frustrated, I would ask to see if anyone had a solution.

I have tried the solutions discussed in https://www.jmp.com/support/notes/52/261.html but although it perfectly describes the problem, the solutions don't seem to help the situation. I have also tried what I have permission to do in http://www.jmp.com/about/newsletters/jmpercable/pdf/27_winter_2011.pdf, but likewise, I have not been able to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

11 REPLIES 11
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: New instance of JMP® is opened each time a new file is opened

I have had the same issue for years and the solutions in the linked note have never solved the issue for me. I believe what initially triggered this was having more than 1 version of JMP installed and then uninstalling the one that was the default for the jmp file types. I have mostly just learned to work around that issue, but I would love it if someone could provide a more effective solution than what is in that note.
-- Cameron Willden

I think @cwillden is right. Try this:

1. Start the version of JMP you want to use.
  2. Select File > Preferences.
  3. Select the Windows group of preferences.
  4. Click Reset Associations.

That action should help even if you deleted older default versions. If this action does not work, then contact JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com).

althompsonphd
Level II

Thanks for the responses. @Mark_Bailey , I have tried this already and it did not solve my problem. So, I will contact technical support. Thanks again!

gallardet
Level III

Hi.

I wonder if you found any satisfactory results to this problem?

Best regards,

Manel

txnelson
Super User

I thinking that you should contact JMP Support at

support@jmp.com

Jim
tim_reeves
Level III

The thing I seem to have found that finally solved this problem for me, which bothered me for a long time, was to uncheck the 'Reopen the initial JMP window on last window close' box in the Preferences/General.

It doesn't seem like that should do it, but I believe it has fixed it.

image.png

wencun6
Level III

This helped me as well

pauldeen
Level VI

Possibly you are in a managed IT environment with limited access rights on your laptop? If so, make sure to do the "reset associations" trick from an elevated privilege (administrator) account. That solved it for me.

Hi Everyone,

Here is one more thing you can try which has helped me in the past (after first attempting to reset file associations and it not remedying the problem for me). 

1. Using Windows File Explorer, Change the default program to open a .jmp file from JMP17 to Notepad. 

PatrickGiuliano_0-1683756446588.png

2. Then open a few .jmp files in Notepad (by double-clicking the files in windows explorer). 

3. After that, Change the file association back to JMP17.

PatrickGiuliano_1-1683756539168.png

Hope this helps!