cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ryandewitt
Community Manager Community Manager

New User Welcome Kit Discussion

The Welcome Kit is designed to track what you've watched and the activities you've completed. However you may need to adjust your browser security settings if it does prompt you to resume your state when returning. You can access the Welcome Kit here. Safari, Chrome and IE 11 work well for caching and storing Kit progress without adjusting your local browser security settings.

Please share your ideas and suggestions.

Ryan DeWitt - JMP User Enablement | Creative • Video • Design • Learning
32 REPLIES 32
ryandewitt

Re: New User Welcome Kit Discussion

Try it in Chrome now. Thanks for giving it your best. - Ryan 

https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/getting-started-with-jmp/new-user-welcome-kit.html 

ryandewitt

Kit has been updated  to 1.2. 11/9/15

Upgrades

• Added 3 new videos
  • Added 6 new activities in the revamped section 11 Practice section
  • Added a JMP Glossary available from the side panel
  • Added a Flash version providing compatibility with FireFox, view at  https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/getting-started-with-jmp/new-user-welcome-kit.html
  • Updated the English text transcript on right menu for Accessibility
  • Upgraded 6 activities to video tutorials vs. still images, (more to come)
  • Added the capability to download all Kit resources in 1 single .zip file.
  • Added intro voiceover on splash screen and section complete screens

Minor Bug fixes/adjustments

• Fixed 4 broken download links in Resources panel resulting from space in the file name which several browsers has issue with
  • Coded a reset function for all activity fields/answers to 0 when users repeat section
ryandewitt

UpdateWorking on Version 1.3 Kit estimated refresh 4/1- 5/1/16

Thanks for the feedback folks, if you have any more add to this thread please.

1.3 Upgrades

• Adding 3 new Excel Activities involving JMP Import Wizard File>Open>(.Excel files)
  • Adding new Video “Closing and saving tables and reports” to First Launch
  • Adding Downloaded PDF Activity Guide
  • Adding Audio on/off to Splash screen or turn off

• Adding Summary Page after for each Section for section highlight
  • Adding Closed Captions to videos English
  • Swapping out graphics containing text for blank/icon graphics and layered text variables to prep for localization
  • Adding "About JMP's Red Triangles" Video to First Launch Video 1

1.3 Minor Bug fixes/adjustments

• First Launch Activity -Table Summary. Calculating the mean of June PM in the Cholesterol data set doesn’t seem to follow from the instructions. ADD check the ‘include marginals’ box to get the desired answer.
  • Data Prep - 1st Video (2a) Edit to end of video swapping out new screen capture for Mean (what audios describes) - (Currently Col Mean in the formula editor updating to to be just the function Mean)
  • Graphs - Activity Video Adjustment - 1st Activity 4d - “Using Scatterplot matrix” - adjust video so it doesn’t cut off in the graph section, it doesn’t ask the question. And then the answer choice includes Oxy vs Sex but you can’t put sex on the graph.
  • Predictive Analytics - Section 8 – video on fit y by x suggests extrapolation – but it would be better if it focuses on interpolation instead. Extrapolation can be done, but it is usually dangerous to do statistically, and can produce questionable results.
  • Predictive Analytics - Section 8 - Video 8c - Update the Profiler Script to video  – says run the fit model script but there isn’t one on this data.
  • Predictive Analytics  Adjust and re-place the sample data “The toy manufacturing data”  –  column names are different than the ones in the video.  In the video the column is called daily production, but in the table it was widgets per day. And the column employees versus staff level.  The table will match the video.
  • JMP User Community - Adjust titles - activities currently labeled wrong. Activity 1 and 2 are reversed from their label.
  • Module 2: Data First Activity (Cars, Selecting and excluding points): The voice over is too fast to follow and the video stops. This is okay if you will tell user that the complete dialog is given in the window to the right, not just the area below the video.
  • Analyze - re-order videos - three videos should be reversed. At least put the control chart example last. First instruction video is not consistent with first activity video. Control charts vs summary statistics?
  • Analyze - The activity 3 screen refers to cars data. There is a Cars data set and a Cars Physical data set. Specify Cars Physical which is what the activity uses.
  • Graphs The audio for activity 3 is very difficult to hear. After watching other videos, I returned to this activity and the sound was found. The problem pops up now and then.
  • Graph Builder Activity 2 requests points, smoother and bar. The choices for answers don’t include bar. If that's intentional, make it clear.
  • Graph Builder  Activity 3 uses data set Cars rather than Car.
  • Best Practices Activity 3 audio is difficult to hear. If it is restarted, it sounds fine.
  • Sharing: Journal Report Activity 1,  Eliminate the word "Export" it's not in JMP even though that's what's happening.  I couldn’t find Export, but got it to work as File --> Save As, then specify file type as HTML.
  • Practice - Section 11b - Simplifying the activity for the titanic data set, the choice of answers is misleading. One answer is a combination of 2 columns which was the correct answer, but then other columns were broken into 2 answer option
Chrismtoy
Staff (Retired)

The New User Welcome Kit worked well for me! I enjoyed the simple yet effective pathway, along with the percentage complete addition!

ryandewitt

So glad it was helpful- Ryan
rabelardo
Level IV

Hi. I had a hard time determining the correct answer when I followed the steps provided using the Graph Builder for the NUWK 11e_Practice.

Instead, I used the Tabulate platform with Local Data Filter.

This is an animated gif (3.8 mb) of the alternative solution I used for the NUWK 11e_Practice question:

Which of the top 10 scoring athletes threw the longest Javelin distance?

I also tried another approach using the Graph Builder platform, also with Local Data Filter (attachment).

Graph Builder is awesome !

Also, I'm new to JMP and I'm learning a lot from the NUWK roadmap. Thanks so much for this !

--------------------------------------------------

Update: gif screencast URL replaced with mean javelin variables (instead of max).

Manually Sorted by Javelin distance (Descending)

9650007_orig.png

Top 10 athletes ranked by score. Then ranked by javelin distance.

9885980_orig.png

- Randy
ryandewitt

Again, so glad you're enjoying the Road Map. There are several ways you can discover the Road Map answers.  For new JMP users exploring or "getting lost" with other platforms is a very effective way to learn JMP comprehensively  .

And I loved the way you used Local Data Filter with Tabulate. I'll consider adding that as an alternative solution.

Your gif was very cool, I'm impressed, keep on sharing feedback if you have it.

Ryan

rabelardo
Level IV

Thanks for the kind words, Ryan.

What I didn't realize when I initially followed the video was that it was showing me the way to the right answer but didn't show the complete steps so I can discover it on my own

And when I started with the NUWK, I couldn't stop. I finished it in one sitting. To this, I say wonderful use of gamification in making sure the learners are engaged all throughout.

Again, thanks and more power !

- Randy, JMP newbie

- Randy
ryandewitt

That's awesome to hear. Thanks for your feedback.   Keep challenging yourself by exploring each JMP platform (like Fit Model) deeper and try Graph Builder with a variety of sample data, just dragging data in and starting over. It's fun!

Ryan

ryandewitt

Great feedback and glad it was helpful. - Ryan