cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ryandewitt
Community Manager Community Manager

New User Welcome Kit Discussion

The Welcome Kit is designed to track what you've watched and the activities you've completed. However you may need to adjust your browser security settings if it does prompt you to resume your state when returning. You can access the Welcome Kit here. Safari, Chrome and IE 11 work well for caching and storing Kit progress without adjusting your local browser security settings.

Please share your ideas and suggestions.

Ryan DeWitt - JMP User Enablement | Creative • Video • Design • Learning
32 REPLIES 32
ahutson22
Level II

Re: New User Welcome Kit Discussion

I have been using JMP for a few months, mainly coding/scripting new applications in JSL.  I have tried checking out the New User Kit to see if it would be helpful in a New JMP User training we give at our site.  I had some trouble accessing the kit initially, and then once I started the videos, I had to start and stop them quite a bit to keep up with what the instructor was doing.  After watching the analyze videos, I tried, unsuccessfully, to answer the first question for that topic.  It was asking for the mean, two decimal points, I couldn't get the right answer, even though it was right in front of me on the screen.  The only way to try again was to restart that short question video.

I like how the video is set up, overall, but I think it goes a little too fast for a beginning JMP'er and the fact that my answer wasn't right, even though it was, was very frustrating.  Maybe after two or three attempts, give the correct answer and show where to find it?

ryandewitt

Thank you for your feedback, we have updates planned for the Kit including new videos and activities.  The activity you may be referring to is in the 3rd section (Analyze : Activity 1) and we have an update planned that will address certain web browser incompatibilities with that, the correct answer in that version is 38.59.  If you message me ryan.dewitt I'll provide you with the access code for that section. Thanks again for your feedback, we'll definitely use it to improve the Kit.  If you are a new user I encourage you to finish the 30 activities and grab your certificate and let me know if you need any additional support.

Ryan D.

lisg
Level I

Hi Ryan,

I'm also having trouble with the Welcome Kit section 3.1 activity.  I get the right answer, but it won't accept it.  It keeps saying incorrect when I enter 38.59.  Could you help?

Thanks,

Les

ryandewitt

That's a browser compatibility issue Les, your answer is correct

That will be addressed in the Sept 1 update.

Please enter the code 10106 using the padlock icon in the bottom left to move on with that Analyze Section 3.

do not hesitate to contact me with anything ryandewitt

mike_adams
Level I

Ryan,

I like the Welcome Kit layout and concept. Here are a few thoughts I had while working through it. Hope they are helpful. Will be at Discovery 2015 and hope to meet you there.

JMP Starter Kit - Comments

General:

For instruction videos, it seems the pause button is not activated initially. You have to click the streaming bar to stop the video, or in some cases the orange back arrow, and then you can pause/play.

For activity videos, there is no pause??

Also, for activity videos, it took a while for me to realize that the dialog was provided on the right side of the screen. Listening through the activity and then performing the activity afterward by following the written dialog worked for me. If this is your intention, say so upfront.

Module 1: First Launch

Activity -Table Summary. Calculating the mean of JunePM  in the Cholestrol data set doesn’t seem to follow from the instructions. I believe you need to check the ‘include marginals’ box to get the desired answer.

Module 2: Data

First Activity (Cars, Selecting and excluding points): The voice over is too fast to follow and the video stops. This is okay if you will tell user that the complete dialog is given in the window to the right, not just the area below the video.

Module 3: Analyze

It seems like the order of the three videos should be reversed. At least put the control chart example last. First instruction video is not consistent with first activity video. Control charts vs summary statistics?

The activity 3 screen refers to cars data. There is a Cars data set and a Cars Physical data set. Specify Cars Physical which is what the activity uses.

Module 4: Graphs

The audio for activity 3 is very difficult to hear. After watching other videos, I returned to this activity and the sound was found. The problem pops up now and then. Don’t know if it is a problem on your side or mine.

Module 5: Graph Builder

Activity 2 requests points, smoother and bar. The choices for answers don’t include bar. Is that intentional?

Activity 3 uses data set Cars rather than Car. I know, that’s picky!

Module 6: Best Practices

Activity 3 audio is difficult to hear. If it is restarted, it sounds fine.

Module 7: Journal Report

Activity 1, I couldn’t find Export, but got it to work as File --> Save As, then specify file type as HTML.

Review:

The second video illustrates the function of red triangles. This should be covered early.

ryandewitt

​Thanks for this great feedback Mike! We will include several of these updates in the Sept 1 technical update.

Ryan

lcampbe30
Level I

I tried loading the Welcome kit in Chrome, but the screen was blank, opening it in IE curiously yielded the same result.

It did load when I tried it in Firefox.

lcampbe30
Level I

Unfortuately, once loaded in Firefox, the first video got stuck in the loading phase. Closing the window and re-loading yielded the same result. I would really like to try this tutorial package but it seems overwhelmed by bugs and glitches at this point. Hopefully the update today will help fix some of the problems.

ryandewitt

The Kit received a technical updated today, it was tested and functioned in Chrome*, IE 11*, and Safari*, however the Fire Fox support for .mp4 video is not optimal.

We do have a Flash version of the Kit that appears to be very compatible with Fire Fox.  I'll post that alternative link here if that testing gets a green light.

Current Supported Browsers:

*Mac - Chrome (Version 44.0.2403.155 (64-bit))

*Mac - Safari (Version 8.0.5 (10600.5.17)

*PC - Version 44.0.2403.157 m

*PC - 11.0.9600.17959

On Nov 1st, 2015 the Kit will receive a content update with new activities and a few new videos.