cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JulieSAppel
Level IV

Neglect hide and exclude

Hi,

Is there anyway to do a summary table or similar based on data that is excluded?

I´ve excluded certain rows of data based on requirements in my analysis but I just need to extract a few numbers which have been excluded. Is that possible or do I have to remove the exclude statements (and add them again afterwards)? 

Br Julie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Neglect hide and exclude

Hi,

Would selecting the rows in question and creating a subset table using Tables-->Subset work?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @JulieSAppel 

My low-tech solution is to introduce a new binary column and use the BY option in the platform for the analysis. this way you get results with and without the rows of interest.

would love to know if there is another solution.

Ron

JulieSAppel
Level IV

I was trying something like:

column(data table("my data set"), "column where I need to include data") << unexclude(1);

but that just excluded the entire column.

What do you mean by "a new binary column and use the BY option"?

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @JulieSAppel 

try the following script.

most likely you can do it faster with clicking out of menus but it will give you my general way of thinking.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

r = dt << Select Rows( [5, 7, 8, 10] );
r << Exclude;
dt << clear select;

// now we start

dt << Select Excluded;
dt << Name Selection in Column( Column Name( "Subset" ), Selected( "excluded" ), Unselected( "all others" ) );
dt << clear row states;

// do some analysis
New Window( "Analysis",
	H List Box(
		Distribution( Continuous Distribution( Column( :height ) ) ), // whole table (excluded and not excluded)
		Distribution( Continuous Distribution( Column( :height ) ), where( :subset == "excluded" ) ), // only excluded
		Distribution( Continuous Distribution( Column( :height ) ), where( :subset == "all others" ), ), // non excluded

)

);

Hi,

Would selecting the rows in question and creating a subset table using Tables-->Subset work?

julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @JulieSAppel,

It sounds like you have a lot of solutions! I like @HadleyMyers's idea of a subset, and wanted to point out, in case you or another don't know, you can right-click in the row information panel on any of the indicators, and select "Data View" to see just those rows. In this case, you could right-click on Excluded, and select Data View to make that subset without selecting the rows or invoking Tables > Subset. I find the "Data View" to be a great tool for focusing your attention on the various subsets (selected, excluded, etc) that you might want to see (or analyze).

data view.gif

I hope this is helpful!

@julian 

What about a data filter with Tabulate?

txnelson
Super User

Since we are all playing the "I would" game :-), I would take the data table with the excluded rows, create a new Row State column, save the row states to that column, remove all of the row states in the row states column, perform the additional analysis, then simply copy the row states back from the new Row State column, back to the row states.

Jim
JulieSAppel
Level IV

Wow that´s a lot of different solutions. I´ll keep those in mind for future challenges 

Thanks a lot :)

P_Bartell
Level VIII

JulieSAppel: To me that's one of the beautiful characteristics of JMP...there are often more than one way to get JMP to 'do something'...especially if that 'something' isn't capable 'out of the box'. This way JMP is very accomodating to the diverse ways in which people think, approach problems, and process data.