cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Aam_jmp
Level IV

N Items() argument must be a list

When I run my script in JMP 13, everything works fine. However, with JMP 12, I get an error saying N Items() argument must be a list. Why is that so? How can I solve this problem? Thank you for any input.

5 REPLIES 5
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: N Items() argument must be a list

@Aam_jmp,
           Could you possibly share the code ? Typically, the error occurs when The parameter you are passing to the function is not a list. But since you are not getting the same error in JMP 13, I am assuming there is something else at play here. Also, could you do the following: 

Assuming List1 is the parameter you are passing to the function, add a Is List() to test if it is a list indeed. 

Is List(List1); 

If the result is 0, then try N Items(List(List1)) to see if that will fix the issue in JMP 12

Best
Uday

The N items() function in older versions of JMP only worked with lists. The function has been extended. Here is the Scripting Index entry for this function in JMP 14:

Capture.PNG

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@Mark_Bailey
      However, the issue he was posting was referring to JMP versions 13 and 12, while it is informative, I don't see how the extended functionality could have anything to do with the case posted by @Aam_jmp ?

Best
Uday

Version 12 report an error. That version is more restrictive than Version 13.

Craige_Hales
Super User

13 says

Returns the number of items in a list, the number of keys in an associative array, or the number of children of a display box.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Should-quot-n-items-quot-be-more-robust/m-p/16627

Craige