cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
morussk
Level I

Multiple file import update data table in place

Hey,

I'm using MFI to concatenate multiple .csv files from folder(folder gets new files dropped in it every day) for analyzing data in JMP. I have also prepared couple scripts for analysis and data cleanup but my problem is that every time I run script for MFI it opens up a new data table without my prepared scripts for analysis :(

I wonder what is the way right way to update my current data table in place(without creating new table) and have my analysis scripts ready to fire. 

My current work-around is that I manually save newly created table, then with separate script I join it with my table with scripts and Joining feature seems to transfer all my scripts and they work.

Note: I did not write my own MFI script, I'm using the script JMP offers to save to data table while running MFI wizard.

Thanks,

Kris

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Re: Multiple file import update data table in place

Try using

Tables=>Update

instead of a join.  It updates to the original table, and will retain any scripts within the original table.

Jim
morussk
Level I

Hi Jim,

Joining works(Joining actually transfers all scripts ) but the problem I have happens earlier - when I hit the Source script button for updating my data table with new concatenated excel files in my folder on my C: drive (which is essentially MFI) it creates new table - and "creates new table" is my issue. I want to update in place and keep my scripts.

I dont think I can Table=> Update to bring in new excel files from folder on my C: drive.

txnelson
Super User

I don't believe that you are going to be able to do what you completely want, within the MFI.  However, the script that the MFI creates to do the items you currently are doing, should be able to be modified, to do what you want.  It may have to create an invisible table that is then updated to your original table, or some other method, but my guess is that a script could be put together to do what you want.

Jim
ERoderz
Level III

I'm running into the same issue. This thread wasn't started too long ago... did you happen to find a solution?

txnelson
Super User

What are your specifics of your problem? Rarely have I seen an issue in this domain that can not be solved. I have not seen any update or follow up on @morussk issue.  If you can provide specifics on your issue, we can move from there.

Jim
ERoderz
Level III

Well, I found a work around. Instead of having MFI update the existing table (which would be awesome, but no luck), I have just created a massive script that modifies the column properties, cleans up the data and runs the analysis I need. Has taken a bit of time, but wish MFI could just perform an update instead.