cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Multiple analysis does not include all paramters in results

So I have some catagorical data where one category never shows up in the Parameter Estimates part of any analysis I try with this data (for example Generalized Linear Models, Nominal Logistic, and Ordinal Logistic). It is always the "highest/latest" catagory of the column (in my case Methods 3 or Cycle 5). Even when I Hide/Exclude the other categories these never show up. If I change another category's name so it is "higher/later", it dissapears instead (I change Methods 0 to Methods 4 for example).

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

I use JMP® 16.1.0 (539038) if that matters.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Multiple analysis does not include all paramters in results

Hi @Lost_Ecologist,

Welcome in the Community !
What you're experiencing is normal, as parameter estimates for the last level of any categorical factor can be calculated from the other parameter estimates levels. This is due to the way JMP is handling the coding of nominal factors : Nominal Factors
For example, if you have 4 levels (L1 to L4) in one categorical factor, L1+L2+L3+L4 = 0, so the parameter estimate of L4 can be calculated from the others : L4 = 0 - L1 - L2 - L3.

If you want to display all parameter estimates, you can click on the red triangle of your analysis, go into "Estimates", and click on "Expanded Estimates".

I hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @Lost_Ecologist,

Welcome in the Community !
What you're experiencing is normal, as parameter estimates for the last level of any categorical factor can be calculated from the other parameter estimates levels. This is due to the way JMP is handling the coding of nominal factors : Nominal Factors
For example, if you have 4 levels (L1 to L4) in one categorical factor, L1+L2+L3+L4 = 0, so the parameter estimate of L4 can be calculated from the others : L4 = 0 - L1 - L2 - L3.

If you want to display all parameter estimates, you can click on the red triangle of your analysis, go into "Estimates", and click on "Expanded Estimates".

I hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

Thank you so much!