cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Hegedus1
Level III

Mosaic Plot - Contingency Analysis Ordering and Preferences

Hi,

In contingency analysis along with mosaic plots the default order is reversed between the plot and the table

Notice that in the plot the first entry is San Francisco and the last is Boston.  In the table however the order is reversed with Boston first and San Francisco last.  This cause some mental gymnastics when looking between the two.  I have found that if I set the axis in the plot to be reverse then things line up.

Hegedus1_0-1618436225878.png

Hegedus1_1-1618436375477.png

Then things line up nicely between the plot and the table

Hegedus1_2-1618436411372.png

Is there anyway to make this the default setting for the mosaic plots?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Mosaic Plot - Contingency Analysis Ordering and Preferences

This behavior is because the convention for the order of values in a table and a plot are the opposite of each other. A table presents values in ascending order by default. The lowest level is first in the table and the highest level is last in the table. A plot presents the values in descending order on the vertical axis. The lowest value is at the bottom of the axis and the highest value is at the top of the axis.

That is to say that the origin of a table is at the top left and the origin of a plot is at the bottom left by convention.

You changed the vertical axis order. I do not find a preference for this change in the platform preferences. There is one for Logistic, so you might request this preference in the Wish List. (Check first to see if someone else has already suggested the idea. If so, then add your vote for it.)