cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Modify Control Graph Builder in JSL

11716_JSL_Question.png

I have made the following graph in JMP. I really like the layout of it, but I need to make a couple changes. As the process will eventually be automated (as there are many graphs like it that need to be done), I would like to know how to do the following in JSL:

1. The X Bar control chart (and others) label their solid lines UCL and LCL to the right of the graph. I would like to put custom labels on my red horizontal lines, as these are two different sets of control limits.

2. This control chart builder includes several things along with the individual values chart. I would like to just extract the individual values chart (along with the title, axis titles, etc) and write that to a journal.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Modify Control Graph Builder in JSL

Nathaniel,

It is not possible to add labels to the right of the Control Chart Builder chart.  The reason is that JMP does not provide a frame box to write to, like it does for the general purpose XBar chart.  However, you can add specialized labels to the left of the chart by adding reference lines.  See the script below.  The script below also creates a journal with the individuals chart.

Names Default To
Here
( 1 );

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/semiconductor capability.jmp" );

ccb = dt << Control Chart Builder(

Size( 534, 453 ),

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Show Limit Summaries( 0 ),

Variables( Y( :NPN1 ) ),

Chart( Position( 1 ), Limits ),

Chart( Position( 2 ) ),

SendToReport(

Dispatch(

{},

"NPN1",

ScaleBox,

{Add Ref Line( 104.412948990151, "Solid", "Blue", "LSL", 1 ),

Add Ref Line( 131.893493064355, "Solid", "Blue", "USL", 1 ),

Add Ref Line( 118.153221027253, "Solid", "Blue", "Target", 1 ),

Add Ref Line( 122.689, "Solid", "Red", "UCL", 1 )}

)

)

);

NW = New Window( "The Journal", <<journal, vlb = V List Box() );

ccb( report ) << journal;

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Nathaniel,

It is not possible to add labels to the right of the Control Chart Builder chart.  The reason is that JMP does not provide a frame box to write to, like it does for the general purpose XBar chart.  However, you can add specialized labels to the left of the chart by adding reference lines.  See the script below.  The script below also creates a journal with the individuals chart.

Names Default To
Here
( 1 );

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/semiconductor capability.jmp" );

ccb = dt << Control Chart Builder(

Size( 534, 453 ),

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Show Limit Summaries( 0 ),

Variables( Y( :NPN1 ) ),

Chart( Position( 1 ), Limits ),

Chart( Position( 2 ) ),

SendToReport(

Dispatch(

{},

"NPN1",

ScaleBox,

{Add Ref Line( 104.412948990151, "Solid", "Blue", "LSL", 1 ),

Add Ref Line( 131.893493064355, "Solid", "Blue", "USL", 1 ),

Add Ref Line( 118.153221027253, "Solid", "Blue", "Target", 1 ),

Add Ref Line( 122.689, "Solid", "Red", "UCL", 1 )}

)

)

);

NW = New Window( "The Journal", <<journal, vlb = V List Box() );

ccb( report ) << journal;

Jim

Jim,

This was extraordinarily helpful. Thank you for your answer!

Out of curiosity, how did you know about the Show Control Panel and Show Limit Summaries commands? I had looked high and low for documentation that would have provided these functions and I wasn't able to find it.

txnelson
Super User

Glad my response is helpful.

Concerning the information about the Show Control Panel and Show Limit Summaries commands:

There are three sure fired ways to find out what kinds of commands are available for a given platform....

1. Almost every option under a red triangle is a statement in JSL.  In fact, the wording of the option under the red triangle is almost aways the same wording as the command i.e. Show Control Panel

2. If you manipulate the platform to the display format you want, then have the platform generate the script for you by going to:

red triangle==>Script==>Write Script to Script Window

It will show you the commands it uses to generate the display in the form you have it set up.  That is what I did for the example I gave you.  I didn't write the code, JMP did.

3. Under

Help==>Scripting Index

you will find the most complete documentation of the commands and messages you can use with a platform.  Once you open this window up, you can scroll down to "Control Chart Builder" and it will show you the wide variety of items you can play around with.

Jim