cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Method for calculation of degrees of freedom?

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows how JMP calculate degrees of freedom? I think SAS is using the Satterhwaite approximation, but I cannot find any information about if JMP use the same?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Method for calculation of degrees of freedom?

Hi Sandra,

From Chapter 7 of Fitting Linear Models:

Degrees of Freedom

The degrees of freedom for tests involving only linear combinations of fixed effect parameters are calculated using the firstorder Kenward and Roger correction. So JMP’s results for these tests match PROC MIXED using the DDFM=KENWARDROGER(FIRSTORDER) option. If there are BLUPs in the linear combination, JMP uses a Satterthwaite approximation to get the degrees of freedom. The results then follow a pattern similar to what is described for standard errors in the preceding paragraph.

For more details about the KackarHarville correction and the KenwardRoger DF approach, see Kenward and Roger (1997). The Satterthwaite method is described in detail in the SAS PROC MIXED documentation (SAS/STAT 9.2 User’s Guide, Chapter 56).

-Jeff

-Jeff

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Perkinson

Hi Sandra,

Which JMP platform are you looking at?

If it's Fit Model, which personality are you using?

-Jeff

-Jeff

I am working in JMP 9.0.

I just open my data table, then go to analyze - fit model. In the box that opens, I specify the different parameters:

1) the dependent variable in Y below "Pick Role Variables"

2) and other variables below "construct model effects". These are both continuous and nominals, one is random and there are at least 2 interactions included in the original model.

The other settings I use are:

Personality: Standrad Least Squares

Emphasis: Minimal Report

Method: REML (Recommended)

Unbound Variance Component are also used.

Thanks in advance!

/Sandra

Jeff_Perkinson

Hi Sandra,

From Chapter 7 of Fitting Linear Models:

Degrees of Freedom

The degrees of freedom for tests involving only linear combinations of fixed effect parameters are calculated using the firstorder Kenward and Roger correction. So JMP’s results for these tests match PROC MIXED using the DDFM=KENWARDROGER(FIRSTORDER) option. If there are BLUPs in the linear combination, JMP uses a Satterthwaite approximation to get the degrees of freedom. The results then follow a pattern similar to what is described for standard errors in the preceding paragraph.

For more details about the KackarHarville correction and the KenwardRoger DF approach, see Kenward and Roger (1997). The Satterthwaite method is described in detail in the SAS PROC MIXED documentation (SAS/STAT 9.2 User’s Guide, Chapter 56).

-Jeff

-Jeff

Ok, thank you for you help!

/Sandra