cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
gchesterton
Level IV

Maps folder when I don't have one?

Hi!

I'm running JMP 13 on a MacBook Pro. I've read several discussion threads and viewed tutorials for using custom shape files for mapping in graph builder. But not only does my installation not have the standard load of map files (state, county, etc.) but I don't have a folder called 'maps' at all. I'm expecting it under library/application support/JMP/13/ .  I reluctantly assumed I could simply create the maps folder in that location and populate it with appropriately named -XY and -Name files, which I proceeded to do.

To implement, I tried uploading the ZIP code files from the user community. But I still get the dreaded 'no shape file found' when trying to implement in graph builder. I've checked to ensure I've followed the appropriate naming convention and assigned the ZIP column in the ZIP-name file to its 'Map Role'. Before going any further, I thought I'd double check to see if I've at least done these preliminary steps correctly. Am I safe in creating that maps folder manually? Or does JMP need further file path instructions on where to find it, given the fact that it wasn't there as part of my install?

thanks for any ideas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Maps folder when I don't have one?

From the JMP documentation

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing

Page 312

In order for JMP to automatically find your files, place them in the following directory:

• On Windows: C:/Program Files/SAS/JMP/13/Maps

• On Macintosh: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/JMP/Maps

I run on Windows, and the distributed maps are located where indicated, so I assume the path for the Mac will take you to them too.

Jim

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gchesterton
Level IV

...by the way, my JMP application does in fact recognize states when I have data by state. But I can not find where JMP is referencing the shape file on my computer.
txnelson
Super User

From the JMP documentation

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing

Page 312

In order for JMP to automatically find your files, place them in the following directory:

• On Windows: C:/Program Files/SAS/JMP/13/Maps

• On Macintosh: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/JMP/Maps

I run on Windows, and the distributed maps are located where indicated, so I assume the path for the Mac will take you to them too.

Jim
gchesterton
Level IV

Arrrrgggghhh! I thought I had done precisely that! And as I mentioned, I couldn't find the native files for US state shapes etc. Which is when I decided to check under the same file path (library/application support/JMP/maps) under my computer's hard drive rather than under 'users' (me). I suppose there are some files and folders that are unique to me as a user and others that are associated with the machine. It appears that in this case I should have checked outside my 'users' folder hierarchy. 

shancham
Level I

Hi @gchesterton, I have the same issue that you did. What exactly did you do to figure this out? I'm trying to add the zipcode directory and can't find the map folder. Thanks!

gchesterton
Level IV

I was originally looking for the /library/application support/JMP path under Macintosh HD/users/chesterton. But instead, on my machine, it is under Macintosh HD/library etc as shown below. The path looks the same but it's not tied to my user path. (I'm probably using the wrong phrase to distinguish those different locations). Your file structure may be different; I'm on a work-owned MacBook Pro and they migrated a bunch of files from an old PC. I don't know if that made a difference in the file structure, but the screen grab below is where I found the maps folder and I was able to successfully add the zip code -Name and -XY files and it seems to work as advertised.  

JMP maps location.jpeg

shancham
Level I

Awesome, thanks! The Macintosh HD drive didn't show up for me but i found this article that explains how to access it: https://chaseadams.io/2014/01/show-your-macs-hard-drive-in-finder-sidebar/

I hope that helps whoever looks at this thread in the future!

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Another thought: you can use custom shapes without putting anything in the default folders.&nbsp; Open the book 'Essential Graphing' (Help &gt; Books &gt; Essential Graphing) and read the section 'Custom Map Files' and and specifically the 'Map Role' section under it.&nbsp; The short version is to specify the 'Map Role' property in your data table and the -Name file.
&nbsp;
Hopefully that gets you buy until your map folder issue is sorted out. There is some info in the same section that might help, including the current default folder for your specific version.
jhigdon
Level I

Has anyone tried this workaround?

I am able to identify a -Name file using the Map Role...but I believe JMP is STILL looking in the Maps folder for the -XY file...I think that because it indicates that it successfully finds the -Name file information (in other words, it lets me know if one of the categorical names in my map role column isn't found in the -Name file definition column)...but no boundary data appears in the window when I add the map role variable to the map shape zone (in graph builder).

I can't write to my maps folder...that's why I'm commenting here. I also created a new discussion addressing the same.