Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dawsonrose
Level II

Making custom standard deviation error bars

Hello!

I am very new to JMP, so excuse my lack of knowledge I am trying to make a line graph that has standard deviation error bars based on the values I provide. This is how my table looks:

dawsonrose_0-1706539006272.png

I discovered to do somewhat of what I need like this:

dawsonrose_1-1706539046112.png

However, how do I do it for the next samples? For example, how can I also add FW-190 with interval being its own StdDevFW190? Or is that not possible? 

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Making custom standard deviation error bars

I'm not sure where you want to add next samples, but one option is to add more columns to interval and disable/enable variables accordingly for the graph.

Data:

jthi_1-1706539547862.png

jthi_0-1706539541937.png

but you might want to stack your data  (notice multiple series stack)

jthi_3-1706539636015.png

then you can have one column for values and one for standard deviations + grouping column(s)

jthi_4-1706539651869.png

jthi_2-1706539624321.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

It looks like you have figured out 80% of the problem.

Have you considered stacking your columns to have a single column for Avg and one for Stdev? Table > Stack > select all Avg and Stdev columns > Multiple series  = 2

You can then specify the Overlay of the plot as the Label column created upon stacking.

Let us know if it meets your needs.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

I'm not sure where you want to add next samples, but one option is to add more columns to interval and disable/enable variables accordingly for the graph.

Data:

jthi_1-1706539547862.png

jthi_0-1706539541937.png

but you might want to stack your data  (notice multiple series stack)

jthi_3-1706539636015.png

then you can have one column for values and one for standard deviations + grouping column(s)

jthi_4-1706539651869.png

jthi_2-1706539624321.png

-Jarmo
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

It looks like you have figured out 80% of the problem.

Have you considered stacking your columns to have a single column for Avg and one for Stdev? Table > Stack > select all Avg and Stdev columns > Multiple series  = 2

You can then specify the Overlay of the plot as the Label column created upon stacking.

Let us know if it meets your needs.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
dawsonrose
Level II

Hello guys!

Thank you SO much for your answers! I did not even know stacking is a thing So this is how my table looks like now, and the data seem to be aligned with the standard deviation

dawsonrose_0-1706603061883.png

Then I moved onto the graphic builder:

dawsonrose_1-1706603090123.png

Where I dragged the "standard dev" stack to interval, and it seems mostly right. However, I am not sure of the few things, especially if it really gets the std dev values I have provided?

1. They seem to be in range (even though looking small), however they are all the same values across the way, even though std.dev. changes on the same sample along days.

2. Also, the blue one (FW160), the bars are sideways

3. Lastly, I could not start it from zero at all...

How do I fix those? Thank you so much!

@dawsonrose 

Looks like you have the Standard Dev label column in the Interval. Placing the Data 2 column as your Interval should get you the correct graph.

-Scott
dawsonrose
Level II

Thank you so much Scott, and everyone else! I have everything covered it seems, for now :))