cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jennifer_n_blak
Level III

Making changes across data tables

Hello!

I have a large master data table which I have subsetted into at least ten other subsetted tables of that data for different analyses.  Occasionally I find mistakes in a data table and need to change a cell, column, etc.  Is there a way to have these changes carry across all the subsetted data tables without having to find the corresponding cell in each table and change it manually?

If so, does the effect only ripple in one direction? (This would affect which table I should make the change in.)

As I don't script in JSL, I am looking for an interactive solution

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

Re: Making changes across data tables

When you use

Tables==>Subset

you can select the option to Link to Original data table

link.GIF

Jim
jennifer_n_blak
Level III

Dear Jim,

I thought I had done that, but it doesn't seem to let changes ripple across the subsetted data tables like I'd expect it to.  Is there any way to go back and check to see if it is done after the subsetting has occured?  Perhaps even (re)link the data table now?

Thank you for your help!

Jennifer

txnelson
Super User

Linking of tables allows you to make changes in any of the linked tables, and they will reflect the same changes in all of the linked tables.  An easy way to validate the linking is to select a row in the linked table, and it will select the row in the other tables that is linked to it.

Jim
jennifer_n_blak
Level III

Great!

How do you link already subsetted tables?

txnelson
Super User

I am not aware of any way to do such linking after a subset table has been created without the link.

Jim
jennifer_n_blak
Level III

Bummer! Thanks for your help, though!
thomasz
Level IV

You could open the source property of your non-linked table, insert "link to original data table(1)" and rerun the script, but any edits before the table was linked will not be updated in the original table.

Example:

<< Subset(
link to original data table(1), // insert this line to the source script and run
Selected Rows( 0 ),