cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

Local Data filter & Animation - how to specify the range?

The Animation Menu of the local Data Filter is a very convenient way to produce a gif image for a time series.

Unfortunately, when I click on play, the selected range changes before the animation starts

Is there an option to specify the width of the selected values?

2023-04-19_21-28-33.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Local Data filter & Animation - how to specify the range?

The min/max delta for animation is set once animation begins on a continuous column.  It does not reset after pausing the animation, but it does reset if you fully stop the animation and then restart it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

Have you tried to adjust the size of the interval by selecting the context menu (downward red triangle) and defining the number of bins?

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
hogi
Level XI

On my system (Jmp 17.1) this changes the width of the (grey) bins, but not the stepwidth (width of the blue region).

hogi_0-1681968606034.png

jthi
Super User

After resizing bins, "re-size" the range once (it should start auto-scaling). That seems to work for me in JMP16.

Names Default To Here(1);
dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Variables(X(:name), Y(:height)),
	Elements(Points(X, Y, Legend(295))),
	Local Data Filter(
		Show Modes(1),
		Add Filter(
			columns(:weight),
			Where(:weight >= 93.12 & :weight <= 115.88),
			Display(:weight, NBins(5))
		),
		Animation(Animate Column(:weight))
	)
);

Maybe some sort of "Lock Range" or similar could be useful feature when using animations? Or maybe even in general for filters.

Other option could be to create Nominal/ordinal column and use that for the local data filter.

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

This is how it looks on my system - Jmp 17.1 & 16.2, Win 10.

Hard to find out what influences the step width -  but it's quite independent of the bin width setting.
Often, the step width of the animation fits to N=5 (independent of N), sometimes it's smaller (even for N=5).

Just an issue on my system?

2023-04-20_08-46-16.gif

The min/max delta for animation is set once animation begins on a continuous column.  It does not reset after pausing the animation, but it does reset if you fully stop the animation and then restart it.

hogi
Level XI

@danschikore , thanks a lot

the it is:

• the user has to specify the step width before he opens the animation menu. presses play (edit after the last comment)
  • after pressing play, changes don't have an effect on the step width -- as long as the animation menu is opened
  • to change the step width after pressing play, one has to close the animation menu and re-open it:

2023-04-21_06-40-55.gif

Hi @hogi - the step width is actually fixed at the point that you press "play" rather than when the animation panel is opened.  I am not sure why it does not allow the step to be reset when paused, but that is something we can consider for the future.

An update to this thread - the data filter animation has been improved here in JMP 18, to allow the range for continuous filters to be reset when the animation is paused.