cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
burakbagdatli
Level III

Keeping colors based on column consistent across graphs

I'm currently working on a dashboard for a factory production floor. On the one side I'd like to show holes being drilled into the fuselage or the aircraft in a 3D scatterplot. On the other side I'd like to show the start times of each drill job which is basically a scatterplot with some categories on the vertical axis and continuous time on the horizontal axis. There are multiple fuselages in the data so the first step is to select one. After the selection an invisible data filter hides and excludes other points. This mainly works fine however I ran into a problem I have no idea to fix.

There are multiple machines that do the drilling. I'd like to color code all the points (both in the 3d scatter plot and in the timeline) based on the job programs loaded to the machines. When I do this by selecting :Job ID as the color variable* I notice that the two graphs use different colors for each :Job ID. When I select for example red points in the timeline, blue points get selected in the 3D scatterplot.

How to make colors match between graphs?How to make colors match between graphs?

I'm wondering if there is a way of synchronizing/matching colors on both graphs? Any ideas are welcome. I'm completely stuck.

Also, sorry about the blurring, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show actual numbers, just playing it safe.

Thanks!

*: the timeline plot that came from a graph builder window has:

timeline = Graph Builder(
Size( 1300, 600 ), Show Control Panel( 0 ), Show Legend( 0 ), Variables( X( :Start Time Stamp ), X( :Load Time Stamp, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :Side ), Y( :Longitudinal Location, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :Machine, Position( 1 ) ), Color( :Job ID ) ), Elements( Points( X( 1 ), X( 2 ), Y( 1 ), Y( 2 ), Y( 3 ) ) ), ),

and the 3D scatterplot has:

scatter = Scatterplot 3D(
   Y( :x, :y, :z ),
   Coloring( :Job ID ),
   Show Controls( 0 ),
   Frame3D(
      Set Graph Size( 500, 500 ),
      Set Grab Handles( 0 ),
      Set Rotation( -54, 0, 38 )
   ),
),

I took out some of the extra code I used to delete the legends, setting axis limits, etc. from the scripts above. They distract.

What we see of the real world is not the unvarnished real world but a model of the real world, constructed so it is useful for dealing with the real world. —Richard Dawkins
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Keeping colors based on column consistent across graphs

If you set the Value Colors column property for :Job ID, both the ScatterPlot 3D and the Graph Builder will use those colors.

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

If you set the Value Colors column property for :Job ID, both the ScatterPlot 3D and the Graph Builder will use those colors.

Jim
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

You can do it on the fly with

Names Default to Here(1);
dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");
//this will give you a legend
// the expression just makes it so it's live in both windows
legend = Expr(dt << Color By Column(:age));
//you have to make a custom report to show the proper legend
new window("Example", 
	Hlistbox(
		bivariate(Y(:height), X(:weight), 
			Where(:age <= 14)
		), 
		legend
	), 
	Hlistbox(
		bivariate(Y(:height), X(:weight), 
			Where(:age >= 13)
		), 
		legend
	)
);

At least this should give you an idea.  

Vince Faller - Predictum
burakbagdatli
Level III

txnelson's idea is quite simple and elegant. I added value colors to the "Job ID" column and then under the Rows menu used "Color or Mark by Column". And immediately the colors showed up on the 3D scatterplot. The timeline plot took a little more effort to match the colors. I used two variables in the horizontal axis and graph builder automatically assigns colors to which column the points come from and overrides the row coloring from the table. But once I included the Color( :Job ID ) within the graph builder all the colors matched up perfectly!

I can easily turn this into a script now based on what I learned from vince_faller's reply. They were both very helpful.

Thank you both!

What we see of the real world is not the unvarnished real world but a model of the real world, constructed so it is useful for dealing with the real world. —Richard Dawkins