cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JSL execute by .bat file crash and hang

It seems like I have a .bat file that runs a JSL script, which processes multiple CSV files as input.
However, when the number of input CSV files increases, the .bat file often crashes and takes a long time without completing the task.On the other hand, executing the same number of input CSV files through JMP and the JSL script only takes 1-2 hours.

The speed difference is significant. Do you know the possible reasons for this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: JSL execute by .bat file crash and hang

Possibly there is a modal dialog behind a window; try ALT-TAB to see the window list. If there is a dialog, it will tell you what JMP needs to know before proceeding.

If it is still hanging, try ESC on each of the JMP windows (as you ALT-TAB through them.) If that works, CTRL-L should open the log window.

The jsl function ShowLog() should open the log; put it near the front of your script.

The main thing that will be different when you use the bat file is probably what JMP sees for the current directory. My guess about the dialog is JMP needs to prompt for something it can't find, but the prompt is being covered up by another window which is inactive because of the modal window it is hiding. Maybe not; normally clicking any window brings the modal dialog to the front.

pictures may help. Knowing if task manager says 0% or 100% CPU might help.

Craige

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Craige_Hales
Super User

What does task manager show? It could be you have many copies of JMP running; your JSL might need a quit(); to terminate. Is JMP visible when running slowly? Does the JMP log window tell you anything? Is there something else running on the same machine that might use up resources?

Craige

I run only one JMP script. 

JMP visible when running slowly? 

When crashed, the entire window turns white, and the content of JSL cannot be seen.

Does the JMP log window tell you anything? 

Sorry, I don't know how to display the log while running JSL because I'm calling JSL through a batch file.

Is there any code for JSL that can run and display the log simultaneously?

Craige_Hales
Super User

Possibly there is a modal dialog behind a window; try ALT-TAB to see the window list. If there is a dialog, it will tell you what JMP needs to know before proceeding.

If it is still hanging, try ESC on each of the JMP windows (as you ALT-TAB through them.) If that works, CTRL-L should open the log window.

The jsl function ShowLog() should open the log; put it near the front of your script.

The main thing that will be different when you use the bat file is probably what JMP sees for the current directory. My guess about the dialog is JMP needs to prompt for something it can't find, but the prompt is being covered up by another window which is inactive because of the modal window it is hiding. Maybe not; normally clicking any window brings the modal dialog to the front.

pictures may help. Knowing if task manager says 0% or 100% CPU might help.

Craige

Because our company enforces strict intellectual property rights, we are not allowed to send photos outside the company, so I cannot provide images….. However, I truly appreciate your help, and I will give your suggestions a try during my work. ^^
Craige_Hales
Super User

Support tab, at the top of this screen, provides options for technical support.

Task Manager is part of the windows OS and will give you information about what is running on your machine. Look for it on the windows task bar - right-click.

Craige
jthi
Super User

In addition to @Craige_Hales questions I have one additional one: is there some specific reason for using .bat file?

-Jarmo

I have a series of automation steps coded in a Windows batch file. One of the steps requires calling JSL, and its output will be used as the input for the next steps.