cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
haleyhoewt
Level I

JSL: Select Rows Based On Timestamp

Seems like this should be relatively basic, but in JSL or even just JMP (select where dropdown), i'm unable to select rows based on specific timestamps in my time column (H:M:S)...do i have to change this to epoch?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: JSL: Select Rows Based On Timestamp

The issue could be that you have your Time column setup as a date time column.  A date time column measures the time in the number of seconds since 12AM January 1, 1904, while a time column has it's value stored as the number of seconds since midnight.

Here is an example:

I have two columns 

txnelson_0-1682623001291.png

Both columns are formatted using "h"m"s".  However the first column is a date time column measured from 1904, and the time column is just a time column measured from 12AM today.  This can be seen when the format on the 2 columns is changed to display the numeric values.

txnelson_1-1682623210517.png

You need to check to see which type of column you have in order to determine how to setup the Select Where.

Another way, is to change the Select Where to a different selection.

current data table()<< Select Where(
	hour(:datetime) == 14 & minute(:datetime) == 3 & second(:datetime) == 58);
// or	
	hour(:time) == 14 & minute(:time) == 3 & second(:time) == 58);

This structure will work for both types of columns

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Do the dates look right in the data table? Is the data type for this column numeric or character? Can you show us a sample of the data? Can you show us the JSL you have tried so far?

txnelson
Super User

The time variable is going to be stored as the number of seconds since midnight.  Therefore, using the syntax below will take the human readable time, and convert it to the number of seconds since midnight and then will do the comparison.

dt<<select where(:time == informat("1:13:32","h:m:s"));
Jim
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

It's easier than that. You can use a time constant.

dt<<select where(:time == 01:13:32);
-Jeff
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Check out Using dates, times, datetimes and durations in JMP

You've not given us quite enough information about the situation but your final question about changing to epoch gives a clue. Yes, the right way to store dates, times, and durations is as a numeric epoch value. If the column is not numeric you can change it to numeric.

Here's an example where it is not numeric. Notice that the column is left justified. That's how character columns are shown.

2023-04-26_10-49-31.966.png

Double-click at the top of the column to get to the Column Info and change the data type to Numeric, Modeling Type to Continuous and the Format to Time-> h:m:s. Check the Input Format. Make sure that matches your current values.

2023-04-26_11-12-51.456.png

Click Okay and you'll have a numeric column (notice it's right justified).

2023-04-26_11-14-30.608.png

-Jeff
haleyhoewt
Level I

apologies. 

this is already in numeric, continuous with the format being time (h:m:s). but if you then try to select rows by condition, i get an error. 

txnelson
Super User

The issue could be that you have your Time column setup as a date time column.  A date time column measures the time in the number of seconds since 12AM January 1, 1904, while a time column has it's value stored as the number of seconds since midnight.

Here is an example:

I have two columns 

txnelson_0-1682623001291.png

Both columns are formatted using "h"m"s".  However the first column is a date time column measured from 1904, and the time column is just a time column measured from 12AM today.  This can be seen when the format on the 2 columns is changed to display the numeric values.

txnelson_1-1682623210517.png

You need to check to see which type of column you have in order to determine how to setup the Select Where.

Another way, is to change the Select Where to a different selection.

hour(:datetime) == 14 & minute(:datetime) == 3 & second(:datetime) == 58);
// or	
	hour(:time) == 14 & minute(:time) == 3 & second(:time) == 58);

This structure will work for both types of columns

Jim