cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pmroz
Super User

JSL Programming Challenge: Convert from string of Ys and Ns to matrix of 1s and 0s, and back again

Hi JSL programmers,

I had a little problem as part of a larger application and thought I'd share it with you, and see if there's a way to do it better/slicker.

Basically I have a vector of 1s and 0s (i.e. [1, 1, 0, 0, 1]) that I need to convert to a string of Ys and Ns (i.e. "YYNNY").  Then I need to do the reverse, that is convert a string of Ys and Ns back to a vector of 1s and 0s.

Here are my quick and dirty functions - let's see if you can come up with something beyond my feeble brainpower!

// Convert a vector of 1s and 0s to a string with no separators
matrix_10_to_yn = function({matrix_10}, {default local},
	yn_txt = "";
	if (nrows(matrix_10) > 0,
// Strip out square brackets and commas
		yn_txt = substitute(char(matrix_10), "[", "", "]", "", ", ", "");
// Now convert 1s to Y and 0s to N
		yn_txt = substitute(yn_txt, "1", "Y", "0", "N");
	);
	yn_txt;
);

// Convert a YN string with no separators to a vector of 1s and 0s 
yn_to_matrix_10 = function({yn_txt}, {default local},
	n = length(yn_txt);
	matrix_10 = j(n, 1, 0);
	for (i = 1, i <= n, i++,
		if (substr(yn_txt, i, 1) == "Y",
			matrix_10[i] = 1;
		);
	);
	matrix_10;
);

// Test thing out a = yn_to_matrix_10("YYYNNNN"); show(a); b = matrix_10_to_yn(a); show(b); c = yn_to_matrix_10(""); show(c); d = matrix_10_to_yn(c); show(d);
11 REPLIES 11
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: JSL Programming Challenge: Convert from string of Ys and Ns to matrix of 1s and 0s, and back aga

These are all very cool solutions. PMROZ pointed out that I misread that the secanrio is to start with a list. He asked for my revised solution.  Below converts a list or a string of YN's to a vector of 10's and a vector of 10's to a string of YN's.

To be consistent with my previous post, I just converted the string to a list with the words() function using an empty string delimiter.

exmat = J(25,1, RandomInteger(0,1));
exlst = Insert({}, {"Y", "N"}[2-exmat]);
exstr = ConcatItems(Insert({}, {"Y", "N"}[2-exmat]), "");

convert_yn = Function({usr}, {rslt=empty(), ynList ={"Y","N"} },
 if(IsMatrix(usr), 
	rslt = ConcatItems(insert({},ynList[2-usr]),"")
 , //else
    IsList(usr),
     rslt = J(nitems(usr),1, 1);
     rslt[loc(usr,"N")]=0
 , //else
    IsString(usr),
     rslt = J(length(Trim(usr)),1,1);
     rslt[loc(words(usr,""),"N")]=0    
  );  //end if
  rslt
); //end Function

show(exmat, convert_yn(exmat), exlst, convert_yn(exlst), exstr, convert_yn(exstr) );
pmroz
Super User

Re: JSL Programming Challenge: Convert from string of Ys and Ns to matrix of 1s and 0s, and back aga

Such cool solutions.  I can't believe the variety of approaches used to solve this relatively simple problem.  Thanks again all.