cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Brown
Level I

JSL: Index and Navigate through All Tables Open in JMP

I'm building a JMP App and I need to be able to return the number of tables I have open as well as navigate through multiple tables so the user can select a table to work with. Say you have 3 tables open and you build a spin arrow in the app builder (up/down arrows). If you click up, the next table up becomes the Current Data Table, and similary for clicking down, the table down becomes the Current Data Table.

Index 1 - Table A

*click up*

Index 2 - Table B

*click up*

Index 3 - Table C

*click up*

Index 2 - Table B.

i am using this code to index tables and find out how many tables are open. The error I'm receiving is that Data Table () cannot understand anything that is not a constant integer. Any time I put a variable (for incrementing purposes) I receive back that Data Table cannot identify the inside of the parentheses.

The way the while statement works is if Data Table (1) can reference Table A/B/C, it will return "Table A/B/C", and when I call Type() on it, it returns "Table". So, by the time the while loop hits Data Table(4), theres no table to return a reference to, meaning there will be no type "Table" ending the while loop.

While( (Type( Data Table( i++ ) ) == "Table"),
numberOfTables++,
);

Print("Number of tables");

Changing "i" can be used for the arrow buttons mentioned before, and numberOfTables will give me a max value not to exceed for "i".

Thanks for help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: JSL: Index and Navigate through All Tables Open in JMP

The function N Table() will return the number of data tables open. You can then get their names by looping through

for(i=1,i<=N Table(),i++,name=data table(i)<<get name)

Jim

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
txnelson
Super User

Re: JSL: Index and Navigate through All Tables Open in JMP

The function N Table() will return the number of data tables open. You can then get their names by looping through

for(i=1,i<=N Table(),i++,name=data table(i)<<get name)

Jim