cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dlehman1
Level IV

JMP or Excel issue with protected workbooks

I am not sure if this is a JMP or Excel issue (or both).  I often have to share my data tables with non-JMP users.  I frequently save the JMP data table in Excel format and do this with a number of data files which I then create copies of individual worksheets and move them all into one workbook.  In the past (up to a couple of months ago), this worked fine.  All of a sudden, every Excel workbook I save from a JMP data table is now protected.  There is no password protection but I am unable to rename or move any worksheet from one workbook to another.  I have tried but found no way to unprotect these workbooks.  I have tried saving the data files as text files or .xls format, but every time I open it in excel, it shows up as a protected workbook with no way to unprotect it.

I am running JMP 17.  This feels like a Microsoft update issue, but I have not been able to figure out where the problem is coming from.  I don't see any JMP options for protecting (or not) data tables saved in other formats.  And, as I said, this problem has suddenly emerged after not being a problem in the past.  Anybody have any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

Re: JMP or Excel issue with protected workbooks

I'm not seeing this in my testing here at JMP.  Excel will often treat files that are transferred via Email or on a website as protected, and it's possible your organization changed the default settings in an update.  From the Internet, there is this:

"Excel activates Protected View by default to prevent users from opening potentially infected files from the internet or email. Protected View is a read-only mode that disables most editing functions. To remove Protected View, go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View and clear the box for Enable Protected View for files originating from the internet."

If you can't change that setting, then you know this was probably an organizational change from your administrator.

Brian Corcoran
JMP Development