cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

JMP Pro 16.1 > JSL > Col Maximum (:DATA, :BY_CAT) Returns an error: Bug or Syntax Error?

Hi JMP Community,

JMP Pro 16.1, Windows 10 Professional.

I encountered an odd behavior in a simple JSL script I am developing. In the script snippet below, the "By Var" column is not recognized as valid (see error message below). I confirmed that the simpler formula "max_y = col maximum (YCOL)" works fine. Hence, I believe that the issue is with the "By Var" portion of the formula.

For (i = 1, i <= N Items (col_ref), i++,

YCOL = Column (dt, col_ref [i]);

max_y = col maximum (YCOL, column (dt, "TIME_POINT"));
			show (max_y)
);

Thierry_S_0-1689221718939.png

Am I missing a simple syntax component, or is it a bug?

Note: I cannot easily share the source data table or the complete script because of confidentiality issues.

Thanks.

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: JMP Pro 16.1 > JSL > Col Maximum (:DATA, :BY_CAT) Returns an error: Bug or Syntax Error?

UPDATE:

For some reason, when using the Col Maximum with a "By Var", I needed to specify that the column is a reference to a column

max_y = col maximum (as column (YCOL), column (dt, "TIME_POINT"))

SOLVED

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: JMP Pro 16.1 > JSL > Col Maximum (:DATA, :BY_CAT) Returns an error: Bug or Syntax Error?

UPDATE:

For some reason, when using the Col Maximum with a "By Var", I needed to specify that the column is a reference to a column

max_y = col maximum (as column (YCOL), column (dt, "TIME_POINT"))

SOLVED

Thierry R. Sornasse
hogi
Level XI

Does the Col Maximum outside of a Column formula work?

alternatively, you could try

Summarize(by, Max(...))