Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

JMP Genomics > Recommended System Requirement

Hi JMP Community,

Could you help figure out the key system specifications for a Windows system (preferentially a laptop) that will run JMP Genomics efficiently:

Here are the specs for two high end laptops: which one would be better suited?

1. 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10885H; 32GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x16G; 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  2. AMD Ryzen R9 5900HX; NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6; 32GB DDR4 3200MHz; 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD (Note: does JMP Genomics use GPU?)
  3. Other?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: JMP Genomics > Recommended System Requirement

For what it is worth, my experience with JMP Pro (no Genomics experience here) is that it is normally better to have faster CPUs than many CPUs as long as there are at least 4+ cores (with notable exceptions like bootstrapping). I don't see a lot of graphics usage except with scatterplot 3D.  I've found that I prefer to remote desktop into a beefy workstation that is always running where I can let scripts run overnight or while traveling.

Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert here...

View solution in original post

Hi @Thierry_S ,

Currently JMP Genomics is very I/O intensive since it is using SAS in the background to process a lot of the data for very wide problems.  If you are looking for a laptop to run JMP Genomics, I would look for a workstation equivalent, faster processors over many cores (multithreading is typically not used),  a SSD with 1 TB is fine (but JMP Genomics does generate a lot files), 16 GB of RAM is good enough, but if it costs a little bit more to get 32GB of RAM, then why not.  JMP Genomics does not use GPU directly except what was noted by @ih for 3D scatter plot.

I have a Lenovo P51 with 32.0 GB RAM. That seems to do well.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

For what it is worth, my experience with JMP Pro (no Genomics experience here) is that it is normally better to have faster CPUs than many CPUs as long as there are at least 4+ cores (with notable exceptions like bootstrapping). I don't see a lot of graphics usage except with scatterplot 3D.  I've found that I prefer to remote desktop into a beefy workstation that is always running where I can let scripts run overnight or while traveling.

Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert here...

Hi @Thierry_S ,

Currently JMP Genomics is very I/O intensive since it is using SAS in the background to process a lot of the data for very wide problems.  If you are looking for a laptop to run JMP Genomics, I would look for a workstation equivalent, faster processors over many cores (multithreading is typically not used),  a SSD with 1 TB is fine (but JMP Genomics does generate a lot files), 16 GB of RAM is good enough, but if it costs a little bit more to get 32GB of RAM, then why not.  JMP Genomics does not use GPU directly except what was noted by @ih for 3D scatter plot.

I have a Lenovo P51 with 32.0 GB RAM. That seems to do well.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com