cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JMP Access Violation - Likely Causes?

If it's possible to answer this question - and of course it may not be - what are likely causes of a fatal error message that states that "JMP has performed an access violation and will close down", please?  For example, should I be looking out for an attempt to write data to a table that's locked, or something like that?

I've hit this problem every now and again during assorted scripting exercises over the years, and never really managed to pin down the reason for it.  Usually I manage to isolate the block of script within which the fatal error evidently occurs, and simply rewrite it a different way, after which the problem disappears.  As my scripting's improved over time I've encountered fewer and fewer such problems, but I still get one every now and then - and I'm looking at one right now in the middle of a quite complex script and wondering where to start.. Are there any likely causes I ought to be looking out for, or any dubious scripting constructions that are likely to generate such an error?

Many thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Re: JMP Access Violation - Likely Causes?

Yes, I figured out that if you have Data Type (for example character, numeric, etc.) which should all be in different columns mixed up, you might run into this violation especially when you are dealing with large sums of data. In my case, few rows of my table was slightly overlapping, thus, i had numeric variables that should have been in the specific column with that variable name into a column that had character data type. I figured that out my carefully looking through the data table after JMP Tech Support closely identified, which rows in the data table caused the problem. Initially, they were assuming it was a system bug, but I figure out that that happened because some variables (as described previously) slightly overlapped starting from the 331,670 rows of the data table that i was working with when the crash/access violation occurred. I suggest you carefully make sure that each variable is approrpiately in the same column with the Data Type and Modeling Type the same for each of the columns. That is, you should not have a character variable in a numeric variable column. Even though sometimes we use numeric variable as character in the case of Zip Code. But, I think you got the idea. At least for my case that seems to be the problem. I solved it my just reloading the original text file and formatting the data again.

Jenkins Macedo