cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

JMP 16.1 > GraphBuilder > Binary Categorical Variable (0,1) > Bar Graph: How do I get the bars to span the range of % instead of a simple line?

Hi JMP Community,

I recently upgraded JMP to version 16.1 (Windows), and I tried to rerun saved GraphBuilder bar plots where Y is a binary categorical variable (0,1), and X is also a categorical variable. In JMP 14.1, these GB scripts would yield full bars with a floor at 0 and a top at the frequency of 1's as shown below.

Thierry_S_0-1635571315434.png

Now, when I try to reproduce these plots in JMP 16.1, I get the following output (note the data is not precisely the same, but the setup is)

Thierry_S_1-1635571480803.png

Any tips on how to restore the "vintage" output?

Thanks.

Best

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: JMP 16.1 > GraphBuilder > Binary Categorical Variable (0,1) > Bar Graph: How do I get the bars to span the range of % instead of a simple line?

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion, but the solution is even simpler: in JMP 16.1, binary data need to be categorized as Continuous to yield the bar full bar plots; otherwise, whatever the style of bars you choose, GB will only plot a "floating" bar.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: JMP 16.1 > GraphBuilder > Binary Categorical Variable (0,1) > Bar Graph: How do I get the bars to span the range of % instead of a simple line?

Without seeing the script I can only give a guess: Seems like JMP16 could be using Float bar style instead of Side by Side. Maybe you could open the Control Panel in the "wrong" graph builder and try to see which settings it is using (or determine that directly from script, but it might miss some preferences)

Side by side:

jthi_0-1635574452665.png

Float:

jthi_1-1635574462913.png

-Jarmo
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion, but the solution is even simpler: in JMP 16.1, binary data need to be categorized as Continuous to yield the bar full bar plots; otherwise, whatever the style of bars you choose, GB will only plot a "floating" bar.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
jthi
Super User

Next thing I'm wondering, is this intended behavior? @XanGregg

Quickly testing seems like Bar Style options do nothing on Numeric Ordinal data or Character data.

jthi_0-1635577486486.png

-Jarmo
XanGregg
Staff

Yes, it is intentional. Bars usually don't make sense for categorical data, without a clear baseline or even spacing. Having numeric integer categories is the exception, but hopefully a continuous modeling type is not a burden there.

jthi
Super User

Re-thinking this that makes sense.You would visualize Nominal/ordinal values by using Overlay or other X-grouping:

jthi_0-1635779764429.png

Would it be possible to disable other selections besides Float if data type isn't continuous to make it more obvious? If Combo Box doesn't allow disabling specific selections, could it be updated to show only the Float option and add "?" button next to Combo Box to explain why it is like that?

-Jarmo