cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ionatx
Level II

JMP 15: Log is empty when using Projects

I am trying to fix a script that broke following the upgrade to JMP 15, however the log is also jacked. When executing scripts from within Project windows, nothing is recorded. The scripts *are* executing, just not being written to the log.

Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: JMP 15: Log is empty when using Projects

Hi @ionatx,

Yes, I believe to resolve ambiguity as to where log output ends up, the project log behavior changed between 14 and 15. In JMP 14, messages write to the global log unless the project log window (or an embedded log window for the script) is open in the project. In JMP 15, output always writes to the project-specific log, whether it is visible or not.

I can certainly see the value of having a free-floating log in the context of using a project, especially with a multiple monitor setup as you describe. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to detach the project log from the project itself, and I do not believe there is a preference for reverting to the JMP 14 behavior of writing project output to the global log when the project log is hidden. Perhaps others can suggest a workaround here, but I suggest posting your request the JMP Wish List.

@julian  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
julian

Hi @ionatx,

That sounds like strange behavior! Are you looking at the Log that's internal to your Project, or the global Log? When running inside of a project, script messages/output/errors only appear in the log that's a part of the project. If you don't have that log visible, go to the Project Menu > Show Log. If, on the other hand, you have the project Log panel visible but none of the expected output is writing to it, something else must be going on. I would try something simple in a new script window, such as Write(1); , and see if that returns anything to the project log. That might give us some indication as to whether there is something wrong with the project log itself, or that something is preventing your scripts from returning their error messages to the project log. 

@julian 

ionatx
Level II

Interesting. @julian is this project-specific log new in JMP15, or has the behavior of Ctrl+Shift+L changed? The project log does indeed work, however in the past I have always used Ctrl+Shift+L. Having a free-floating log window visible on a separate monitor is more efficient, are there settings that control these behaviors that I am failing to see?
julian

Hi @ionatx,

Yes, I believe to resolve ambiguity as to where log output ends up, the project log behavior changed between 14 and 15. In JMP 14, messages write to the global log unless the project log window (or an embedded log window for the script) is open in the project. In JMP 15, output always writes to the project-specific log, whether it is visible or not.

I can certainly see the value of having a free-floating log in the context of using a project, especially with a multiple monitor setup as you describe. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to detach the project log from the project itself, and I do not believe there is a preference for reverting to the JMP 14 behavior of writing project output to the global log when the project log is hidden. Perhaps others can suggest a workaround here, but I suggest posting your request the JMP Wish List.

@julian  

ionatx
Level II

Awesome, thanks @julian!